Sulcata with Shell Rot?

SulcataSquirtle

I have a 9 month old Sulcata. I have an inside enclosure with UVB and a heat source for winter, but since its coming to summer and days are averaging 77-86 I have made a bigger outside enclosure so she can have more direct access sunlight. Both indoor and outdoor have a humidity box thats shaded, I use Sphagnum moss. I regularly soak her to make sure she stays hydrated. She's active and eating lots, I think maybe too much, so if you have suggestions for qualities of Cos lettuce and grass for a sulcate her size that would be greatly appreciated.

About two days ago her poop was more liquid than normal, and today I noticed some whitish bits on her shell that I ha never seen before. I've attached photos. IMG_6845.JPG IMG_6846.JPG IMG_6847.JPG IMG_6848.JPG IMG_6845.JPG IMG_6846.JPG IMG_6847.JPG IMG_6848.JPG Please can you tell me if I should go to the vet or if I am just being paranoid.

Thank you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have a 9 month old Sulcata. I have an inside enclosure with UVB and a heat source for winter, but since its coming to summer and days are averaging 77-86 I have made a bigger outside enclosure so she can have more direct access sunlight. Both indoor and outdoor have a humidity box thats shaded, I use Sphagnum moss. I regularly soak her to make sure she stays hydrated. She's active and eating lots, I think maybe too much, so if you have suggestions for qualities of Cos lettuce and grass for a sulcate her size that would be greatly appreciated.

About two days ago her poop was more liquid than normal, and today I noticed some whitish bits on her shell that I ha never seen before. I've attached photos. View attachment 188544 View attachment 188545 View attachment 188546 View attachment 188547 View attachment 188544 View attachment 188545 View attachment 188546 View attachment 188547 Please can you tell me if I should go to the vet or if I am just being paranoid.

Thank you.
I am voting just paranoid...lol

While I do not host this species I can say that the marbeling of the shell color is not shell rot, it is a pretty common factor of a growing shell....I would however be cautious of offering cold wet places for the tortoise to get chilled in....I mean it is one thing to offer a watering hole in the shade during hot months, which is good vs a cold dark wet hide in less than hot weather, which can prove unhealthy...cute tortoise by the way.

Kasia

Poland

About two days ago her poop was more liquid than normal, and today I noticed some whitish bits on her shell that I ha never seen before. I've attached photos. View attachment 188544 View attachment 188545 View attachment 188546 View attachment 188547 View attachment 188544 View attachment 188545 View attachment 188546 View attachment 188547 Please can you tell me if I should go to the vet or if I am just being paranoid.

Thank you.
Is it just me or this lil one looks like a leopard tortoise? Maybe a mix of leo and sulcata... the pattern kicking in would suggest so... his Lil feeties look leoish as well...where did you get him from? Is that an option?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is it just me or this lil one looks like a leopard tortoise? Maybe a mix of leo and sulcata... the pattern kicking in would suggest so... his Lil feeties look leoish as well...where did you get him from? Is that an option?
I thought the same, but no expert.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks like a leopard to me, could be a leopracata. That's new growth and typical of a leopard tortoise to change colors. I think you need to contact the seller and confirm what you bought.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Thank you.
This is a leopard you have not a sulcata. Please read the thread above.

SulcataSquirtle

Thank you for all your replies! I initially thought she was a Leopard tortoise as thats what the person I got her from had said. However, when I went to make sure she was healthy when I initially got her the Vet said she was a Sulcata.