Sulcata with Possible Prolapse?

Vandis2018

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Hello everyone!

Me and hubby have a Sulcata that is approximately 7yrs old and 15 pounds. We have always believed it to be a female and 2 vets have said the same. We took her a few months ago to a vet since she had a large mass coming out from under her tail. Long story short, vet said it was a prolapsed colaca, put it back in, gave her 2 stitches and sent her home with antibiotics and laxatives. He said she seemed to be constipated.

Our baby after about a month was back in her regular habitat outdoors and seemed fine. Then she had the mass come back. This time having a bit more of an idea what it was. We reached out to some vets (first one did not convince us much with how he treated our babies case) and found one that seemed to understand a bit more what was the matter. We visit the vet, xrays confirmed no eggs yet she was constipated. He did warm baths on her all day and was able to get the prolapse in. Sent her antibiotics and warm baths daily with Epsom salt. She has not been feed grass for about 3 weeks yet still defecating grass. We have been giving her mineral oil daily to help her also.

Well today, she seemed to wake up wanting to conquer the world. Pushing into things and standing up strong! After she ate some lettuce I gave her she began to defecate and unfortunately the "mass" came out again! Anyone have any recommendations or know what else we can do?

Anticipated Thanks!20220130_142641.jpg20220130_142630.jpg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello everyone!

Me and hubby have a Sulcata that is approximately 7yrs old and 15 pounds. We have always believed it to be a female and 2 vets have said the same. We took her a few months ago to a vet since she had a large mass coming out from under her tail. Long story short, vet said it was a prolapsed colaca, put it back in, gave her 2 stitches and sent her home with antibiotics and laxatives. He said she seemed to be constipated.

Our baby after about a month was back in her regular habitat outdoors and seemed fine. Then she had the mass come back. This time having a bit more of an idea what it was. We reached out to some vets (first one did not convince us much with how he treated our babies case) and found one that seemed to understand a bit more what was the matter. We visit the vet, xrays confirmed no eggs yet she was constipated. He did warm baths on her all day and was able to get the prolapse in. Sent her antibiotics and warm baths daily with Epsom salt. She has not been feed grass for about 3 weeks yet still defecating grass. We have been giving her mineral oil daily to help her also.

Well today, she seemed to wake up wanting to conquer the world. Pushing into things and standing up strong! After she ate some lettuce I gave her she began to defecate and unfortunately the "mass" came out again! Anyone have any recommendations or know what else we can do?

Anticipated Thanks!View attachment 339801View attachment 339802

Wait!!!
I will get help!!!
Yes I think that’s a prolapse.
Keep it moist!!!
Get to a vet quick as you can..
If not put into a bathtub with warm water and let soak till I get other experts to help!!!
A warm soak might let it go back in..

@Yvonne G
@maggie3fan
@Tom
@ZenHerper

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello everyone!

Anticipated Thanks!View attachment 339801View attachment 339802

I am so sorry this keeps happening!
Did they check for a stone of any kind?
Could that be her blockage in order to strain so much??

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Sorry it's in these circumstances
You probably already know this but keep it moist and clean until a vet sees it.

I'll also tag @zovik

Vandis2018

Miami, FL
At least in 2 xrays they confirm to not see any foreign objects, eggs nor stones. No ideas what is causing her now to strain so much. We do not have gravel nor stones in the yard either.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is the caresheet you need for sullies which will give you a diet list in case there's anything you need to change.

Vandis2018

Miami, FL
This is the caresheet you need for sullies which will give you a diet list in case there's anything you need to change.
Thanks for the advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She might not be drinking enough on her own. Soak her daily in something she can't climb out of and sprtiz water over her food when you feed her.

Hydro therapy will also help clean her out - clean and rinse your bath tub well then fill er up! place her gently into the water and watch her swim for fifteen minutes or so a day. Once she starts pooping it makes a terrible, stinky mess, but it gets rid of the backlog.

Vandis2018

Miami, FL
She might not be drinking enough on her own. Soak her daily in something she can't climb out of and sprtiz water over her food when you feed her.

Hydro therapy will also help clean her out - clean and rinse your bath tub well then fill er up! place her gently into the water and watch her swim for fifteen minutes or so a day. Once she starts pooping it makes a terrible, stinky mess, but it gets rid of the backlog.
Yes we have been soaking her 2 times daily since 1/12/22 ! And mineral oil on her food. She had been progressing nicely. We have No idea what could be causing this to come out again but during today's bowel you can tell she was straining.

Vandis2018

Miami, FL
Sorry for the delay in response! So Moana had an appointment on February 1st and before the doctor even got to treat her it had already retracted. Apparently is her oviduct. He followed up and confirmed she was still constipated and has us soaking twice a day still but also injecting an IV solution in her abdominal cavity. Shes been doing well! Havent seen her bowel movements back to normal yet but much better. Think it might be hormonal. Thanks everyone for caring and the support!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Sorry for the delay in response! So Moana had an appointment on February 1st and before the doctor even got to treat her it had already retracted. Apparently is her oviduct. He followed up and confirmed she was still constipated and has us soaking twice a day still but also injecting an IV solution in her abdominal cavity. Shes been doing well! Havent seen her bowel movements back to normal yet but much better. Think it might be hormonal. Thanks everyone for caring and the support!

So glad to hear Moana is doing a little better.
Just a suggestion….
For constipation I would :
1)-Give the soaks in the tub or wherever..
2)- keep her warm. At least 85 degrees WITH humidity.
3)- and lastly, get her walking around a lot.
Walking helps the digestive tract
“Move things along.” Try to train her to have a routine walk at 3 or 4pm every day. That way she will learn a routine to go by. Later or the next day I almost guarantee a 💩 will be found.
Best of luck my friend and keep us posted!!
Pictures of Moana would be AWSOME too!
Last pictures you showed us were of her….
Eh- ehem…. “Other parts”.
I was just wondering what her FACE looked like? 🤣
Also her shell and her legs/feet.
After all, this IS a “family forum”.
Nude butt shots are only shown for emergencies..😝❤️🙏😆😘