help (prolapse ?)

gaily

my girl is about 60 or 70 and today an xray showed 1 egg and may be one stone - after vitamins and then Oxydocin at 4pm she layed and egg then later when on to lay the biggest weird shape egg ( it is hollow ) now she is look like her innards are coming out too may be a prolapse - due to easter weekend the vets is closed now for days - i am worried could this be her tubes coming out ( she hasnt laid for about 7 years ) I took her in as she was walking backawards and not eating and wasnt her self ????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This isn't something that can wait for a whole week-end. You need to get it seen to NOW. In the mean time, pack sugar on the swelling then put some mineral oil on your fingers and with your index and middle finger, gently try to push the swollen parts back inside. You may have to hold them in for quite a while until she relaxes and stops pushing. Normally once the vet has it back inside, they take a purse-string suture to hold it in place.

If you can't make it stay inside, then keep the tortoise sitting in a little water so it doesn't dry out.

What kind of tortoise is it?

gaily

thank you xx its only been a hour and quite a lot has come out !!! what mineral oil do i use ( olive oil )

M

Maggie Cummings

Get some mineral oil at the store, not olive oil. You don't cook with mineral oil. What species of tortoise is it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, mineral oil is MINERAL oil. You might call it something different where you're from, maybe liquid parafin or liquid petroleum. This oil is non-absorptive and should be the only oil you use for this function.