Sulcata tortoise enclosure for 12-14 inch adult

Elly T.

Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Hi there, I'm planning to adopt a 12-14 inch adult sulcata tortoise and want to build an indoor enclosure. I'd appreciate advice on how large I should plan to build the enclosure. In about 1-2 years when we buy a larger home with a large yard, we'll build an outdoor area for it but for now, we need it to be indoors. Any guidance appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Obviously it would be much better for the tort if you waited until you had outdoor space for him. One that size should be living outside.
Maybe adopt a smaller one that can better fit inside and in a couple years will be the right size to live outdoors.
Otherwise a large room is needed or a basement with all the right furnishings like substrate, heat, lights, hide, large water bowl and of course feeding area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there, I'm planning to adopt a 12-14 inch adult sulcata tortoise and want to build an indoor enclosure. I'd appreciate advice on how large I should plan to build the enclosure. In about 1-2 years when we buy a larger home with a large yard, we'll build an outdoor area for it but for now, we need it to be indoors. Any guidance appreciated!
That is a juvenile, not an adult. Tortoises need huge enclosures. Even small tortoise species need huge enclosures. Larger species need even larger enclosures. An entire room is really too small for a 12-14 inch sulcata, and exceedingly difficult to heat at floor level. I give them around 2500 sq. ft. when they are that size. Sulcatas can also be terribly destructive.

Giant destructive tropical reptiles are really not good indoor pets. Housing one that size indoors is going to be difficult, time consuming and expensive. I would recommend against it.
z5buxv2twye11 (1).jpg

Elly T.

Alexandria, VA
Thanks all! Appreciate the feedback. And good to know what size yard we should aim for when we buy a home (i.e., very large)