Sulcata overheated while soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I soak my tortoises all the time, especially hatchlings. I have devised a small snorkle and facemask I put on them first so there is no chance of drowning.
My aldabras wear full face gear and they love the swimming pool!.
I actually taught my oldest Aldabra to dive for lobster in the Florida Keys. That is unless his motorcycle gets a flat on the way down...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
skottip said:
I soak my tortoises all the time, especially hatchlings. I have devised a small snorkle and facemask I put on them first so there is no chance of drowning.
My aldabras wear full face gear and they love the swimming pool!.
I actually taught my oldest Aldabra to dive for lobster in the Florida Keys. That is unless his motorcycle gets a flat on the way down...

WHAT? I know this isn't serious, but so what's the point? I don't get it.:D Of course if you were being serious, know one would believe you without pics:p :D

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I will post pics tomorrow.
He is out on a date now....
Some hussy of a Spur Thigh.

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
all the small torts i soak can all swim very well and thats how they get around in the wild in the flooded marsh areas. I think it is just stupid not to soak and even worse to tell other people not to. If you dont know what your talking about keep it to yourself.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
waterboy said:
all the small torts i soak can all swim very well and thats how they get around in the wild in the flooded marsh areas. I think it is just stupid not to soak and even worse to tell other people not to. If you dont know what your talking about keep it to yourself.

Thank you, someone finally gets it

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OP, I believe your tort overheated under his lamp. Since I soak my torts in a big plastic basket while I'm preparing their food, I'm always watching them during their soaks. As when humans overheat, torts need to replace the minerals they lost because of the heating. If it ever happens again, and even now since he's still not back to his full self, I would soak him in some pedialite that you can buy in Walgreens or WalMart. It gives them the vitamins and trace minerals that they lost when overheated. It's always a good idea to have some around for cases when there's extreme heat and not enough humidity. Glad to hear your tort is getting better.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
waterboy said:

I think 'it is just stupid' to dismiss ideas that you do not agree with by saying that they are stupid. I also think this type of attitude is why so many do not participate on this forum. Everyone is free to share their opinion, experiences, etc. If you do not agree, then make a convincing argument about why you do not agree. I don't think 'It's stupid' or insults cut it as an argument.

sibi said:
OP, I believe your tort overheated under his lamp. Since I soak my torts in a big plastic basket while I'm preparing their food, I'm always watching them during their soaks. As when humans overheat, torts need to replace the minerals they lost because of the heating. If it ever happens again, and even now since he's still not back to his full self, I would soak him in some pedialite that you can buy in Walgreens or WalMart. It gives them the vitamins and trace minerals that they lost when overheated. It's always a good idea to have some around for cases when there's extreme heat and not enough humidity. Glad to hear your tort is getting better.

How do tortoises lose minerals because of the heating? Humans do so because of sweating, which tortoises do not do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
[split] Sulcata overheated while soaking?

waterboy said:

Sorry Jaizei, I have to agree with this. I think its stupid too. No one, including Eric, has time to sit and watch all their tortoises, in every enclosure, all day long and make sure that every one of them is drinking as much as they should. Of course we should leave water out for them, provide the correct environmental conditions, and hope all goes well, but soaking is a way to INSURE that your tortoise is well hydrated, and it is ESPECIALLY important in drier climates like here and AZ, or anywhere in the country where a tortoise is housed primarily indoors, in an open topped enclosure, with desiccating heat in the winter and A/C in the summer.

I see my tortoises drinking every once in a while. No idea how often they drink when I'm not looking. They too know where their water source is and what to do with it. Still it does NO harm to occasionally soak them, and it insures that they are never dehydrated. There are so many reasons a tortoise might not drink, or might not drink enough. I believe "stupid" is a good descriptive word for making any case AGAINST soaking. I can see where it is less necessary in a humid area with lots of rainfall all year long and adult tortoises that are housed outdoors with unlimited access to all the rain and resulting puddles, but to advise everyone, everywhere in the world, with every age and housing situation to NOT soak is frankly and obviously stupid advice.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
waterboy said:

Sorry Jaizei, I have to agree with this. I think its stupid too. No one, including Eric, has time to sit and watch all their tortoises, in every enclosure, all day long and make sure that every one of them is drinking as much as they should. Of course we should leave water out for them, provide the correct environmental conditions, and hope all goes well, but soaking is a way to INSURE that your tortoise is well hydrated, and it is ESPECIALLY important in drier climates like here and AZ, or anywhere in the country where a tortoise is housed primarily indoors, in an open topped enclosure, with desiccating heat in the winter and A/C in the summer.

I see my tortoises drinking every once in a while. No idea how often they drink when I'm not looking. They too know where their water source is and what to do with it. Still it does NO harm to occasionally soak them, and it insures that they are never dehydrated. There are so many reasons a tortoise might not drink, or might not drink enough. I believe "stupid" is a good descriptive word for making any case AGAINST soaking. I can see where it is less necessary in a humid area with lots of rainfall all year long and adult tortoises that are housed outdoors with unlimited access to all the rain and resulting puddles, but to advise everyone, everywhere in the world, with every age and housing situation to NOT soak is frankly and obviously stupid advice.

Tom I would have to agree 100% ESPECIALLY WHEN TORTOISES ARE SMALL AND FRAGILE

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
I did a double take when I saw someone suggesting not to soak ...it hurts none at all if n
Done properly and the benefits in my mind heavily outweigh the risks. I personally see no risks if done correctly. This situation sounds like a fluke accident and I'm happy to hear the tort is doing better and recovering. I agree completely with Tom that giving advice such as not to soak without giving specific reasons why this individual doesn't was in my eyes extremely detrimental to torts everywhere with owners who may read that and think they could be more lax with their tortoise and skip soaks that are an ESSENTIAL part of proper tortoise husbandry. I keep a thermometer probe in my tortoises water to monitor the temperature. I place my tortoise in the water at 100 F and leave him in the water til I read the temperature at 88 to 89 F.

LeoCraze

5 Year Member
So where is the tort-off? We need to see Eric's tortoises. I've seen the results of Tom's proven method, not just from Tom, but replicated by people, around the world, who follow the simple method.

Frankly, so far, I've not seen a case of captive tortoise, raised from hatchling and not soaked, but has as a healthy looking shell as the ones produced by Tom's method. Granted, I've not seen every CB tortoise in the world, so I'm curious to know. What we have here are two "extreme" views for raising hatchlings: 1. soak everyday (with water source and humidity inside enclosure) 2. No soak at all (with water source and humidity inside enclosure).

Again, I'm opened-mind, so I'd like to see some result from Eric's method, validated by tortoises raised from hatchlings. Again, a tort-off!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off, I want to highly praise Eric for having the belief in his way of doing something to publicly state it in this forum, which tends to think tortoise keeping is a one way fits all thing. It is not. I am also terribly disappointed in those who think if it is not being done their way, then it is "stupid".

I also happen to agree with Eric. I think we over soak our poor tortoises. It is one thing to soak a sick animal, a new animal, one who may be dehydrated, or a very young one. Wonder why all these years tortoises have had enough sense to know their own needs, but suddenly we humans think they are totally ignorant of what they need and only we humans know what is best for them. If we are providing them with the proper environmental needs, which includes not constantly cooking them, then why are we so fearful of them not being hydrated enough? I do understand taking the easy way out and doing a soak rather then working on making your enclosure correct, that is human nature after all. The belief it won't hurt them, may also not be correct. There are some folks who believe too much soaking is pushing food through the tortoise's system at a faster rate then nature intended, which could cause their own health risks. Just not enough studies done to know for sure. Plus it may have a more dangerous effect on one animal or species then the next. Are we also blind to the fact that tortoises die from being soaked and left, as this one almost tragically was? I guess the lost of those tortoises do not count, huh? :(

I think if it makes you feel good about your care of your tortoise, then go ahead and soak him or her every day if it's what it takes. I won't tell you your behavior is "stupid", as some seem to have to do with those who do not agree with them. I think (as I always say) you need to do what works for you, your tortoise, and your situation. It would be egotistical for me (or any person) to think you have to do things my way. Just remember to keep an open mind, to realize we all can have different things and styles, yet in the end will and can get to the same goal... healthy tortoises.

Just my personal thoughts and a gold star to Eric. To the OP, an apology because none of us (except maybe Sibi and another one or two) actually answered the question you were asking. Instead we have made it into another one of our heated debates. I am so glad to know it seems he was lucky and escaped without problems. :)

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I do want to state to everyone that I by no means just sit my tortoise in water and don't pay attention. I try my hardest with them, and I want what's best for them. I'm recovering from a medical condition so they are my form of therapy while I'm recovering. They make me get up in the morning, do physical activities, and provide a routine. All my supplies are right next to the area where I soak(in my patio) and I honestly never meant to harm the tort by soaking it under the lamp. I wasn't offended by the various points of view, as everyone has an opinion.

Thank you Jaqui for asking for my torts well being. He's so much better today. Eating, grazing, sunning, acting his normal self. I wouldn't have even posted the thread if it wasn't just so bizarre to me that it happened when many people on the forum suggested it. Now, based on my experience, I will adamantly suggest against placing the tort under a lamp during soaking, if they feel the need to do so or not. Regardless I do thank you all for the responses and advice. I am trying very hard to provide the proper husbandry for my animals who are more to me than just pets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
alysciaingram said:
I do want to state to everyone that I by no means just sit my tortoise in water and don't pay attention. I try my hardest with them, and I want what's best for them. I'm recovering from a medical condition so they are my form of therapy while I'm recovering. They make me get up in the morning, do physical activities, and provide a routine. All my supplies are right next to the area where I soak(in my patio) and I honestly never meant to harm the tort by soaking it under the lamp. I wasn't offended by the various points of view, as everyone has an opinion.

Thank you Jaqui for asking for my torts well being. He's so much better today. Eating, grazing, sunning, acting his normal self. I wouldn't have even posted the thread if it wasn't just so bizarre to me that it happened when many people on the forum suggested it. Now, based on my experience, I will adamantly suggest against placing the tort under a lamp during soaking, if they feel the need to do so or not. Regardless I do thank you all for the responses and advice. I am trying very hard to provide the proper husbandry for my animals who are more to me than just pets.

I don't think anyone was trying to say you weren't doing the best for your torts, at least I hope they didn't mean that and I am so sorry it you took any post that way. Also, it's good to post things like this. It's a learning tool for all of us. As passionate as you are about your torts, so are the majority of the members and little discussions like this will sometimes come about, also a good learning tool.
Glad things are better with your little one. Looks like you did the right thing in a very quick manner:)

Jacqui said:
First off, I want to highly praise Eric for having the belief in his way of doing something to publicly state it in this forum, which tends to think tortoise keeping is a one way fits all thing. It is not. I am also terribly disappointed in those who think if it is not being done their way, then it is "stupid".

I also happen to agree with Eric. I think we over soak our poor tortoises. It is one thing to soak a sick animal, a new animal, one who may be dehydrated, or a very young one. Wonder why all these years tortoises have had enough sense to know their own needs, but suddenly we humans think they are totally ignorant of what they need and only we humans know what is best for them. If we are providing them with the proper environmental needs, which includes not constantly cooking them, then why are we so fearful of them not being hydrated enough? I do understand taking the easy way out and doing a soak rather then working on making your enclosure correct, that is human nature after all. The belief it won't hurt them, may also not be correct. There are some folks who believe too much soaking is pushing food through the tortoise's system at a faster rate then nature intended, which could cause their own health risks. Just not enough studies done to know for sure. Plus it may have a more dangerous effect on one animal or species then the next. Are we also blind to the fact that tortoises die from being soaked and left, as this one almost tragically was? I guess the lost of those tortoises do not count, huh? :(

I think if it makes you feel good about your care of your tortoise, then go ahead and soak him or her every day if it's what it takes. I won't tell you your behavior is "stupid", as some seem to have to do with those who do not agree with them. I think (as I always say) you need to do what works for you, your tortoise, and your situation. It would be egotistical for me (or any person) to think you have to do things my way. Just remember to keep an open mind, to realize we all can have different things and styles, yet in the end will and can get to the same goal... healthy tortoises.

Just my personal thoughts and a gold star to Eric. To the OP, an apology because none of us (except maybe Sibi and another one or two) actually answered the question you were asking. Instead we have made it into another one of our heated debates. I am so glad to know it seems he was lucky and escaped without problems. :)

I agree with this, except, I don't think someone should just come out and say don't soak without explaining in detail, how they do their husbandry to be able to not soak. Also, like requested a couple times, why haven't we seen his torts???? If it were me, I would be posting a lot of pics to show my point of view.

LeoCraze

5 Year Member
Great to hear that the tortoise is doing okay. Exactly why it happened is not so clear, but the adjustments seem reasonable. Raising tortoise is a learning process, having inputs from others is a big help but by no means definitive, since there are so many factors involved and we don't speak tortoise.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do believe that it is important to others to not just state something without evidence. Yes, it is important to be polite, civil, and PC, but at the end of the day, to be truly helpful, we need some results.

Another advantage of soaking the young tortoise is to ensure that they get fresh clean water every time, not some polluted stale water. If the tortoises decide to soak themselves during the middle of the night in a water dish, that water is probably not very pleasant to drink afterwards and you won't be able to change it until much much later.

Again, soaking works for me, but I want to see some pictures of tortoises from people who never soak theirs. Please share this experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.