Help! Tortoise Overheated In Backyard

Andy Kizer

I put my 3-year-old Hermann's Tortoise outside today for about an hour. Didn't realize that it was already 100 degrees out (I live in Phoenix). Normally, if he gets too warm he will burrow. He has hides and about half of the enclosure is in the shade. When I went out to check on him, he was just sitting there, kind of bubbling and foaming at the mouth. I immediately brought him in and sprayed him with room temperature water. I soaked him in lukewarm water for about 30 seconds, before thinking that might shock him and took him out. He is in his indoor enclosure now, in the dark. He seems to be okay, but restless. I don't know if I should take him to the vet or not. I am very concerned, but I don't want to stress him even more. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No need for a vet now. Soak him every day for a couple of weeks, and then cut back to every other day for a while.

Odd that he didn't just move to the shade...

Andy Kizer

No need for a vet now. Soak him every day for a couple of weeks, and then cut back to every other day for a while.

Odd that he didn't just move to the shade...

Thanks! He seems to be okay now. Ate a little bit and then went to bed. He was in the shade, but I guess the heat was still too much. Lesson definitely learned!

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Does he have water in the shade? I take a water bowl outside with Bean and leave it in the shade so he can sit in it to cool off. I live in SoCal though and our non-summer hot days aren't as extreme.

As far as I know you did everything right, I think the only thing a vet WOULD do is administer fluids. You should be fine just with the soaks and water available 24/7.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they start to foam at the mouth in a last-ditch effort to cool down when they get too hot. event won't help one way or the other if brain damage has set in it's irrevervisible. but right now it sounds like you caught it before happened from your description.

Andy Kizer

Does he have water in the shade? I take a water bowl outside with Bean and leave it in the shade so he can sit in it to cool off. I live in SoCal though and our non-summer hot days aren't as extreme.

As far as I know you did everything right, I think the only thing a vet WOULD do is administer fluids. You should be fine just with the soaks and water available 24/7.

Thanks. He has a water bowl, but it is very shallow. I don't know if the water was too warm or maybe he didn't think to go in there.

Andy Kizer

they start to foam at the mouth in a last-ditch effort to cool down when they get too hot. event won't help one way or the other if brain damage has set in it's irrevervisible. but right now it sounds like you caught it before happened from your description.

That's really scary :( He seems to be doing fine today. I had no idea they could overheat like that!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please post pics of your tort asap.

Do not worry, you'll hopefully get the help you need here.:)

Have you read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread?

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California