Not open for further replies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
wellington said:
Jacqui said:
First off, I want to highly praise Eric for having the belief in his way of doing something to publicly state it in this forum, which tends to think tortoise keeping is a one way fits all thing. It is not. I am also terribly disappointed in those who think if it is not being done their way, then it is "stupid".

I also happen to agree with Eric. I think we over soak our poor tortoises. It is one thing to soak a sick animal, a new animal, one who may be dehydrated, or a very young one. Wonder why all these years tortoises have had enough sense to know their own needs, but suddenly we humans think they are totally ignorant of what they need and only we humans know what is best for them. If we are providing them with the proper environmental needs, which includes not constantly cooking them, then why are we so fearful of them not being hydrated enough? I do understand taking the easy way out and doing a soak rather then working on making your enclosure correct, that is human nature after all. The belief it won't hurt them, may also not be correct. There are some folks who believe too much soaking is pushing food through the tortoise's system at a faster rate then nature intended, which could cause their own health risks. Just not enough studies done to know for sure. Plus it may have a more dangerous effect on one animal or species then the next. Are we also blind to the fact that tortoises die from being soaked and left, as this one almost tragically was? I guess the lost of those tortoises do not count, huh? :(

I think if it makes you feel good about your care of your tortoise, then go ahead and soak him or her every day if it's what it takes. I won't tell you your behavior is "stupid", as some seem to have to do with those who do not agree with them. I think (as I always say) you need to do what works for you, your tortoise, and your situation. It would be egotistical for me (or any person) to think you have to do things my way. Just remember to keep an open mind, to realize we all can have different things and styles, yet in the end will and can get to the same goal... healthy tortoises.

Just my personal thoughts and a gold star to Eric. To the OP, an apology because none of us (except maybe Sibi and another one or two) actually answered the question you were asking. Instead we have made it into another one of our heated debates. I am so glad to know it seems he was lucky and escaped without problems. :)

I agree with this, except, I don't think someone should just come out and say don't soak without explaining in detail, how they do their husbandry to be able to not soak. Also, like requested a couple times, why haven't we seen his torts???? Maybe, it really just doesn't work as well as he'd like us to think. If it were me, I would be posting a lot of pics to show my point of view.

I think this is taking it a bit too far. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Eric is misleading anyone.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
I'm very happy to hear your tort is doing well :) I also think its great that you shared this experience with us so that we could learn from it and share ( what makes this forum great).

I just wanted to say that I'd never put anyone down for an idea that contradicts my own but the reason I respect members such as Tom is because they have taken so much time and put so much effort in producing happy healthy torts and he openly admits his past errors in husbandry. His past mistakes led him to experiment and learn. He has in many threads showed his methods and has helped us all move towards some of the healthiest tortoises I've seen in years in captivity. I see his methods and his results. He had covered all his bases in proving why his method works.

So I APPLAUD Tom. I do not applaud someone who goes against proven results and contradicts them without showing the rest his reasons and exactly what goes into his husbandry. A blank statement telling us not to do something without further explanation is very irresponsible.

And telling people that "we humans know what's best" or nonsense like that is not a valid reason. We dont think we know whats best but we do know and see results. We have seen that tortoises being hydrated makes an extreme difference as do 10-15 or even 20 plus minute soaks. People on this forum can't perfectly mimic a natural environment but they try.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jaizei said:
wellington said:
Jacqui said:
First off, I want to highly praise Eric for having the belief in his way of doing something to publicly state it in this forum, which tends to think tortoise keeping is a one way fits all thing. It is not. I am also terribly disappointed in those who think if it is not being done their way, then it is "stupid".

I also happen to agree with Eric. I think we over soak our poor tortoises. It is one thing to soak a sick animal, a new animal, one who may be dehydrated, or a very young one. Wonder why all these years tortoises have had enough sense to know their own needs, but suddenly we humans think they are totally ignorant of what they need and only we humans know what is best for them. If we are providing them with the proper environmental needs, which includes not constantly cooking them, then why are we so fearful of them not being hydrated enough? I do understand taking the easy way out and doing a soak rather then working on making your enclosure correct, that is human nature after all. The belief it won't hurt them, may also not be correct. There are some folks who believe too much soaking is pushing food through the tortoise's system at a faster rate then nature intended, which could cause their own health risks. Just not enough studies done to know for sure. Plus it may have a more dangerous effect on one animal or species then the next. Are we also blind to the fact that tortoises die from being soaked and left, as this one almost tragically was? I guess the lost of those tortoises do not count, huh? :(

I think if it makes you feel good about your care of your tortoise, then go ahead and soak him or her every day if it's what it takes. I won't tell you your behavior is "stupid", as some seem to have to do with those who do not agree with them. I think (as I always say) you need to do what works for you, your tortoise, and your situation. It would be egotistical for me (or any person) to think you have to do things my way. Just remember to keep an open mind, to realize we all can have different things and styles, yet in the end will and can get to the same goal... healthy tortoises.

Just my personal thoughts and a gold star to Eric. To the OP, an apology because none of us (except maybe Sibi and another one or two) actually answered the question you were asking. Instead we have made it into another one of our heated debates. I am so glad to know it seems he was lucky and escaped without problems. :)

I agree with this, except, I don't think someone should just come out and say don't soak without explaining in detail, how they do their husbandry to be able to not soak. Also, like requested a couple times, why haven't we seen his torts???? Maybe, it really just doesn't work as well as he'd like us to think. If it were me, I would be posting a lot of pics to show my point of view.

I think this is taking it a bit too far. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Eric is misleading anyone.

I took the one line out. I don't agree with you, but I don't really care if its there or not. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
alysciaingram said:
I do want to state to everyone that I by no means just sit my tortoise in water and don't pay attention.

I know I myself did not take it as you were a negligent keeper, nor do I want you to take my comments as such. If you did, then I am sorry. I do know how those "just for a second" back turns can lead to a lot longer times then ever dreamed of. I know I have lost temporarily several turtles and tortoises from having them outside in non secure areas because I was going to be watching closely and then something distracts me. Amazing how good those guys are at knowing when to make a dash for it and how well they can camouflage into their surroundings. :D

wellington said:
Also, like requested a couple times, why haven't we seen his torts???? If it were me, I would be posting a lot of pics to show my point of view.

I think you answered your own question, because he isn't you. The nice thing about a forum like this is EVERYBODY can share only as much as they want to. Some folks post every time their tortoise opens it's eyes. That's fine. Some of us (me included) very seldom share pictures. I can't speak for Eric, but I just don't like to take them and never think they come out well, be it my tortoises, my dogs, my children, whatever. Part of it my be my own personal aversion to having my own picture taken. Who knows and who cares. Nobody in here is required to show anything or even share anything in here and they should not be pressured to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.