Sulcata Health Issues - Searched Everywhere For Answers, Very Scared!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Keep him warm but do not leave the UVB on, he needs total darkness in order to sleep and he needs rest.
You should have a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for night time heat ?
No more vitamin A injections.

Karrahi

Keep him warm but do not leave the UVB on, he needs total darkness in order to sleep and he needs rest.
You should have a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for night time heat ?
No more vitamin A injections.

We will end the Vit A and we will get a CHE this evening before we turn off the light.

Thank you guys!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You are doing great trying to help and save him!
Soaking in slightly warm water is very beneficial. He seems to have suffered for some time from being kept too dry by the previous keepers.
I soak my redfoots every morning in a plastic, opaque sterlite tub with a top cover that fits tightly and has a few holes bored in the top. The water level is a little above where the top and bottom shells meet. In such a soaking situation, you will see the "steaminess" form right away. I keep them in that state for at least half an hour, making sure the water does not get cold. You can add some unflavored Pedialyte to the water too, this will increase the medicinal value of the soak.
I agree, no more vitamin injections!
We are all with you in wishing for his recovery! And if after all you have done he does not recover, it is obviously NOT your fault.
Positive thoughts and wishes for the little chap. He is lucky somebody really cares.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Can we see a pic of your thermometer/hygrometers? Some are very inaccurate and can cause babies to be raised to cold or dry.

Karrahi

Can we see a pic of your thermometer/hygrometers? Some are very inaccurate and can cause babies to be raised to cold or dry.
I had one of the Zoomed non digital combo ones and read there have been issues with the accuracies so I ordered digital ones from Amazon Friday - two for both sides for monitoring the small quarantine issue.

Karrahi

Currently Harold is still with us, my critical care comes today, as well as Fluker's Liquid Vitamins.
He still is not using his back legs, but will move his front legs and they seem more relaxed.

I found organic Kale baby food that I had placed in a syringe and not made his mouth open but kind of put a little bit on his beak (avoiding his nostrils) and he would chew a little and eat a tiny bit.

Going to try to get him to drink a little today, but the back legs worry me but I also know it's not going to be an overnight fix!

I just hope I can save my little tortellini! We go for another tube feed tomorrow and I will be sure to avoid Vit A injections.

Thank you guys again for your help!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The back legs worry me, too.
That's bad and i seem to remember that happening on several occasions before because of the vitamin injections.

Karrahi

The back legs worry me, too.
That's bad and i seem to remember that happening on several occasions before because of the vitamin injections.

The only thing that may make me feel better about that is that it happened before we went to the vet and it is actually the main reason I got alerted because he wasn't trying to get out of his soak which he usually does.

Karrahi

This came today - going to try to at least get some in him - I also got the liquid calcium just incase I can't get any physical food in him (hand or syringe don't want to stress him out too much) but just trying all I can! IMG_1040.JPGIMG_1042.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This came today - going to try to at least get some in him - I also got the liquid calcium just incase I can't get any physical food in him (hand or syringe don't want to stress him out too much) but just trying all I can! View attachment 214873View attachment 214874
No one could accuse you of not doing the best you can.
You're reading, listening, taking advice, doing all that is possible to do.
Fair play to you. :)
Let's just keep sending warm wishes that he'll get better soon.

Karrahi

Thank you all! He kept on 3 grams today so that's a good sign!

I got a CHE and it is over his hide, humidity is staying around 85% to 90% with temps in mid 80s!

I was able to softly open his mouth my circling a qtip on his bottom jaw to open and my boyfriend put some warm critical care on in his mouth and then he would chew!

Good lord I just want some good news tomorrow at the vet!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you all! He kept on 3 grams today so that's a good sign!

I got a CHE and it is over his hide, humidity is staying around 85% to 90% with temps in mid 80s!

I was able to softly open his mouth my circling a qtip on his bottom jaw to open and my boyfriend put some warm critical care on in his mouth and then he would chew!

Good lord I just want some good news tomorrow at the vet!
Indeed.
All the very best.

Karrahi

Okay hi everyone! I am so sorry about delay I took off like three days of work to watch him and that made it so I had a lot of back up work - but last vet visit we were given the prognosis of "turned around" with a two week clearance.

He has gained some weight!
IMG_1081.JPG

From 70g to 102 holding for the past two days.

But this is all great news except he still isn't eating on his own and now he is strong enough to resist my clever Qtip trick and I am STRUGGLING with helping him eat without completely traumatizing him.

I need some tips, tricks, favorite foods, favorite anything! I keep soaking him in the critical care solution with warm water so he is at least getting that intake but I know eventually he will need some solids.

Legs are still too week for moving around and he added almost half his body weight to already weak legs but he is still moving active and more responsive so positive signs compared to beforehand.

I appreciate all of your help and support and good vibes just everything!

I know he is hungry - I just don't know what for?!

Karrahi

Also don't worry the raid is raid fly paper for windows - not chemicals I realize that's a bad photo to have that corner in it

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Dandelions and the like are very popular, often irresistible to many torts, prickly pear pads and fruit are my Tidgy's fave.

Karrahi

Harold died in his outside soak this morning :(

I am devasted and my boyfriend is so upset I think he blames me for putting him in a soak.

This has been a terrible, terrible experience because I really thougt that he was getting better :(

I appreciate everyone's help and hopefully we can heal and maybe try again if he ever forgives me.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am terribly sorry for your loss.
And make absolutely sure his eyes are sunken and he is stiff and certainly dead.
Sometimes tortoises go into a sort of metabolic coma and appear to be dead but can still recover.
Pull one of his legs and see if you get any reaction.

Karrahi

We have him under his light and he isn't stiff, just kind of limp :(

I have tried CPR by blowing into his mouth and I just don't know what to do

He under his light right now :( image.jpg