such a tiny first cake egg!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
KINDLE_CAMERA_1449180936000.jpg hi all, I have never had an egg this small. The large is is from My female, the small one is from ihop JuST turned five and is from my female , who has the bigger egg. Ever see a cake egg this small?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
A few years ago one of my female Russian tortoises laid a super tiny egg. I did not think it would hatch, however, it did and it was the smallest Russian hatchling I have ever seen. I named her Minnie and I kept her.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
A few years ago one of my female Russian tortoises laid a super tiny egg. I did not think it would hatch, however, it did and it was the smallest Russian hatchling I have ever seen. I named her Minnie and I kept her.
Once in a while , you get a strange one. I'm glad yours hatched. I did hAtch a white cake once. My tortoises doctor took that one. Let you know how it goes.

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Thailand
It's amazing the way that egg sizes and incubation periods vary in pancake tortoises. I have gotten small eggs and have realised that the hatchlings have nicer colours then the others but they are incredibly small!!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
It's amazing the way that egg sizes and incubation periods vary in pancake tortoises. I have gotten small eggs and have realised that the hatchlings have nicer colours then the others but they are incredibly small!!
If this egg is fertile, I feel horrible. Ihop, hopped the fence and MAY have been with daddy! Will never happen again. I fixed the fence. I'm not happy about it. Shes a real she devil!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
When you say a white one, do you mean that the Pancake Tortoise was white? As in albino or hypomelanistic?
Born light yellowish, it's not albino. As the baby got older, it turn more white.I will post a picture of how light it was born. I gave it to my tortoise doctor. Will ask for new pictures.IMG_86331000549174.jpeg

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Hi AFQ, what does that smaller egg weigh? the smallest I had that hatched was about 16 grams, and that neonate was not a 'doer'. Always good to see you here sharing the bounty of your interest with 'cakes, the most interesting tortoises alive.
Good question, I don't know. Lol. I have never weighted one. I can tell you this. The egg is at least two time smaller then the average egg. It's a little bigger then a jellybean. I will always post my cakes, only wish more people had them. Merry Christmas to all!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Good question, I don't know. Lol. I have never weighted one. I can tell you this. The egg is at least two time smaller then the average egg. It's a little bigger then a jellybean. I will always post my cakes, only wish more people had them. Merry Christmas to all!
Me too ! But for selfish reasons so I could get another female ! Smile !

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For this thread and hopefully some PM's received, this longer explanation of "doer" will make sense.

'doer' is a semi slang word that describes animals that survive. Most vets will know what you mean, but it's not in any text book. The other POV is "failure to thrive", and that is in text books.

At least some species of chelonians very well studied do not exhibit age or reproductive senescence. For aging they are biologically immortal. That means they get killed by something they don't die of old age. To put a finer point on it, they die due to an outward cause before there body wears out.

For reproduction. Older females are bigger, and lay bigger eggs, and may lay more of them. Bigger eggs have more nutrition, and produce bigger neonates, which on average will have better survivability. They will be a little bit stronger, can eat slightly bigger things, are more temperature stable. All these bits and pieces of size advantage add up to better survivability.

Sometimes there is an odd egg from a large female that is small. For the most part though, bigger female means bigger eggs with better survivability.

All that does not mean that small eggs can not ultimately produce a 'doer' neonate. But the odds are not in favor of that outcome.

I say never give up on an egg or neonate, but sometimes it's not going to survive or be a doer. Sometimes you see failure the thrive.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
For this thread and hopefully some PM's received, this longer explanation of "doer" will make sense.

'doer' is a semi slang word that describes animals that survive. Most vets will know what you mean, but it's not in any text book. The other POV is "failure to thrive", and that is in text books.

At least some species of chelonians very well studied do not exhibit age or reproductive senescence. For aging they are biologically immortal. That means they get killed by something they don't die of old age. To put a finer point on it, they die due to an outward cause before there body wears out.

For reproduction. Older females are bigger, and lay bigger eggs, and may lay more of them. Bigger eggs have more nutrition, and produce bigger neonates, which on average will have better survivability. They will be a little bit stronger, can eat slightly bigger things, are more temperature stable. All these bits and pieces of size advantage add up to better survivability.

Sometimes there is an odd egg from a large female that is small. For the most part though, bigger female means bigger eggs with better survivability.

All that does not mean that small eggs can not ultimately produce a 'doer' neonate. But the odds are not in favor of that outcome.

I say never give up on an egg or neonate, but sometimes it's not going to survive or be a doer. Sometimes you see failure the thrive.
I knew as soon as I found the egg, it may not hatch. Thank you for the Infor.