NonBark/No Bug Substrate?

skullcrushersulcata

Hello!

I have an indoor closure for my sulcata with coco coir and orchid bark (which I baked) right now. I've started to notice bugs (non-flying, tiny verryyy tiny, and white/gray) in her closure/food plate and researched and think it's bark mites and learned they are harmless. But they're gross and I would rather not have bugs if I had a choice. Like I said, I baked the bark before putting it in so I don't know what to do. I can change the substrate out again but I feel like I would just have to keep repeating the process.

So my question is, is there a non-bark AND/OR non-bug producing substrate that's safe for her? I know bugs are, you know, natural but maybe not to the point where I see it crawling everywhere in her home (there seems to be none on her though).

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
They are likely springtails and as you said, harmless. There are no substrates good for your tortoise that they can't live in. Little bugs are a part of tortoise keeping.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Hello!

I have an indoor closure for my sulcata with coco coir and orchid bark (which I baked) right now. I've started to notice bugs (non-flying, tiny verryyy tiny, and white/gray) in her closure/food plate and researched and think it's bark mites and learned they are harmless. But they're gross and I would rather not have bugs if I had a choice. Like I said, I baked the bark before putting it in so I don't know what to do. I can change the substrate out again but I feel like I would just have to keep repeating the process.

So my question is, is there a non-bark AND/OR non-bug producing substrate that's safe for her? I know bugs are, you know, natural but maybe not to the point where I see it crawling everywhere in her home (there seems to be none on her though).

I have them too, they keep going to the water bowl so always make sure to clean it

Oogway the russian tort

The springtails also help keep ur enclosure clean by eating up their droppings and old food but if u don't want them then yes toast them ever so often as some can survive and they reproduce rapidly

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bugs are not coming from your substrate. They come from the surrounding environment. Any substrate that is suitable for your tortoise is also suitable for them to move into and set up shop.

You'll have to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks or so, if you don't want any substrate bugs. Most of us just ignore the bugs.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Yeah agreed. Usually from some fruit or trash left out too long. I noticed I didn't get bugs once I only used bark and no longer coco coir

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Cypress mulch is the worst for that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cypress mulch is the worst for that.

I've tried to use cypress mulch several times over the years. Each time it was dirty and smelled swampy. I spent hours and countless gallons of water soaking and rinsing the stuff before I could use it. The mud water that came off of it was nasty.

Anyhow, I wonder the bugs are more attracted to it because of the smell?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've tried to use cypress mulch several times over the years. Each time it was dirty and smelled swampy. I spent hours and countless gallons of water soaking and rinsing the stuff before I could use it. The mud water that came off of it was nasty.

Maybe. I use peat moss for my box turtles and never have problems with that. I was thinking of switching from cypress to coco husk chunks. I know you use those for your skinKS. Any problems with bugs with that?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

I think the smell is the decomposing matter that the bugs are actually after. So, yes.
I've had almost zero insects with my soil over orchid bark substrate. And I've never been to keen on being super clean about it.
Maybe it's the region that the mulch or bark was sourced?
Maybe it's just luck?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe. I use peat moss for my box turtles and never have problems with that. I was thinking of switching from cypress to coco husk chunks. I know you use those for your skinKS. Any problems with bugs with that?

I love the coco chips. Great substrate. No bug problems or any other problems. I even found a new source for it at the reptile show this weekend.
http://www.prococo.com

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the smell is the decomposing matter that the bugs are actually after. So, yes.
I've had almost zero insects with my soil over orchid bark substrate. And I've never been to keen on being super clean about it.
Maybe it's the region that the mulch or bark was sourced?
Maybe it's just luck?

Could be the source. I've had four different bags from different companies over the years and all of it was swampy smelling, but some was cleaner than others as far as how much dirt washed off of it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I love the coco chips. Great substrate. No bug problems or any other problems. I even found a new source for it at the reptile show this weekend.
http://www.prococo.com
I'don't have to find where it's sold. Reptile Basics sells a 10 lb block for 24.99, but I want to check out amazon. How much water do you need to add to these blocks?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'don't have to find where it's sold. Reptile Basics sells a 10 lb block for 24.99, but I want to check out amazon. How much water do you need to add to these blocks?

I never measured the amount of water needed. I just keep adding water until I et it how I want it.

You can order a 10 pound block of compressed coir from a garden center for about half that amount.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I never measured the amount of water needed. I just keep adding water until I et it how I want it.

You can order a 10 pound block of compressed coir from a garden center for about half that amount.
Yeah, I was looking online and found a 10 lb block for 11.99. I'm going to order a couple. Thanks!!

skullcrushersulcata

I wonder if it's the coco coir or the orchid bark that's retaining the moisture. Either way, I might as well throw out the substrate and start over since I have both bark and coir left. I think the food, like some of you mentioned is definitely a key role as to why the bugs are here. Crush is very picky with her food so she always leaves them behind everywhere. Sigh sigh.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wonder if it's the coco coir or the orchid bark that's retaining the moisture. Either way, I might as well throw out the substrate and start over since I have both bark and coir left. I think the food, like some of you mentioned is definitely a key role as to why the bugs are here. Crush is very picky with her food so she always leaves them behind everywhere. Sigh sigh.

Coco coir and orchid bark are supposed to retain moisture. That's why they make good tortoise substrates. They retain moisture which helps raise humidity in our dry enclosures, but neither of these substrates rots or encourages mold or fungus. The bugs are coming from the surrounding environment. If the substrate and enclosure are good for your tortoise, they will also be good for these bugs.

skullcrushersulcata

Coco coir and orchid bark are supposed to retain moisture. That's why they make good tortoise substrates. They retain moisture which helps raise humidity in our dry enclosures, but neither of these substrates rots or encourages mold or fungus. The bugs are coming from the surrounding environment. If the substrate and enclosure are good for your tortoise, they will also be good for these bugs.

I'll take that as a compliment that my enclosure's nice? haha on a serious note though, I didn't use to have these and I've have the coco coir and orchid bark for awhile now. Maybe 'cause it has been awhile that the eggs I wanted dead (and didn't die) has come to life...ew.

So another question: Can I use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002QIII8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 or Provent-a-Mite? Just found this so idk but thought I could give it a chance. Has anyone used this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So another question: Can I use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002QIII8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 or Provent-a-Mite? Just found this so idk but thought I could give it a chance. Has anyone used this?

I'm not familiar with that product or those chemicals. Personally, I would not use it. If those chemicals are effective then I don't want them around my animals. If they are not effective and this is some sort of marketing ploy, then its a waste of time and money anyway.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Those products are meant for the mites that live on some reptiles (snakes and lizards usually) - these are likely not that type of mite, they are just there to eat the leftovers, not to eat the tortoise.