Stray cat in my heated shed.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Has anyone had problems with animals such as cats, racoons, etc getting in there heated barn/shed for the winter. I have a hinged door I can lock shot but whenever its down with just the vinyl curtain I have a stray cat that keeps sleeping in there with the Tort. Its a 10lb tort. They do not seem to bother each other. Are there any dangers? Should I just trap the cat to take to the animal shelter?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Kitty wants to be warm...lol.

If I remember correctly, @N2TORTS had a cat that kept warm in his Sulcata's shed.

I can't imagine it'll be a problem.

Is the cat friendly toward you/people or is it feral?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think there is a problem with the cat wanting in there. Just don't let the tort eat any of its poop, should he poop in the shed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I built a shelf in my Aldabran shed for the sole purpose of holding a cat bed. Only trouble it, the cat is never inside (because of no daylight saving time and it gets dark too early) when I close the door, so the bed mainly stays uninhabited. The cat won't be a problem in your tort house unless he starts to spray in there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a motion activated alarm but in a dog house. It works great. Harbor freight. About $20. It runs on batteries so no outlet needed. The photo is of the trigger unit. The alarm unit is slightly larger.

Attachments

• image_48.png
    image_48.png
    923.8 KB · Views: 23

Juan V

Valencia
Has anyone had problems with animals such as cats, racoons, etc getting in there heated barn/shed for the winter. I have a hinged door I can lock shot but whenever its down with just the vinyl curtain I have a stray cat that keeps sleeping in there with the Tort. Its a 10lb tort. They do not seem to bother each other. Are there any dangers? Should I just trap the cat to take to the animal shelter?
cats won't bother adult turtlers or tortoises.
I'd actually say having a cat nearby is actually good !!!! Cats eat mice, and mice do **** up with tortoises. I'd keep him around, maybe put a pot of cat food.

Juan V

Valencia
I don't think there is a problem with the cat wanting in there. Just don't let the tort eat any of its poop, should he poop in the shed.
I doubt a lot that cats would poop on the same place that they sleep. Even wild cats are extremely careful with this issue.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
The cat is extremely friendly.. I wouldn't call it feral.

Kitty wants to be warm...lol.

If I remember correctly, @N2TORTS had a cat that kept warm in his Sulcata's shed.

I can't imagine it'll be a problem.

Is the cat friendly toward you/people or is it feral?