Starting Mazuri ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LParkey

5 Year Member
Ok peeps, I'm starting Mazuri tomorrow and need to know -

Do I add it into her diet slowly, and if so how do you suggest I best do so?
How often is it to be fed a week?
Is there anything else I need to know?

I have a small sulcata. Thanx in advance to all the responders, I greatly appreciate any and all input!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
You soak the Mazuri in warm water to make it soft and then you can just try and see if she will eat it, if she doesn't you can just slowly mix it with her favorite foods.

As far as how much, its up to you. Some just feed a few times a week, I feed it daily durning the summer but now they tend to go more for greens so I feed the Mazuri every other day...

LParkey

5 Year Member
I just heard it was high in protein, so didn't know if it should slowly be worked into the diet

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just make it a varied diet with other greens and it won't be an issue. There is give and take in everything we feed and we just have to find that happy middle ground....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to feed it twice a week.

To start with I would just add a soaked pellet or two to a pile of greens and mush and mix it all together. Even one pellet will go a long way with a little one.

LParkey

5 Year Member
Just to verify, this IS the tort diet ... right? It doesn't say tortoise diet on the bag, and being my first time buying it I just want to make sure the feed store got it right.
IMAG0792.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There should be a little tag at the bottom of the bag verifying what it is. It will be sewn into the bottom seam.

... and holy cow! That bag will last you 3 years for one little one. Got any tortoise owning friends nearby? I buy that size bag for 5 adults 13 juveniles and a bunch of babies and it lasts me 6 weeks.

LParkey

5 Year Member
lol NOBODY in state keeps it on shelves, so I kinda didn't have a choice. It was either buy the 25lb bag or a case of the little bags (which was more expensive). And the guy who owns the local pet store has a tort for sale and I told him I'd bring some in for his to try, if the little one likes it maybe he'll trade me Mazuri for crickets (for my dragons). Outta curiosity how long does it keep/how do I know when its gone bad?
Also, how appealing is it to my tort compared to the zo med tort cubes? Is this something she's instantly going to like or is it something she'll have to learn to like?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
LParkey said:
lol NOBODY in state keeps it on shelves, so I kinda didn't have a choice. It was either buy the 25lb bag or a case of the little bags (which was more expensive). And the guy who owns the local pet store has a tort for sale and I told him I'd bring some in for his to try, if the little one likes it maybe he'll trade me Mazuri for crickets (for my dragons). Outta curiosity how long does it keep/how do I know when its gone bad?
Also, how appealing is it to my tort compared to the zo med tort cubes? Is this something she's instantly going to like or is it something she'll have to learn to like?

Recently bought 25lb. And the dating on the bag is good until 2014

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure you look for the "ingredients" tag on the bottom of the bag. Mazuri makes ALL KINDS of exotic animal feed and you don't want to use this if its not Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:
Be sure you look for the "ingredients" tag on the bottom of the bag. Mazuri makes ALL KINDS of exotic animal feed and you don't want to use this if its not Mazuri Tortoise Diet.
:)

leno

5 Year Member
Had just bought Mazuri Tortoise Diet today, going to try feeding my tort later. Dont know whether it will like.

LParkey

5 Year Member
I have to say since starting the Mazuri my little one has completely turned around! She is back to eating like a monster!! =) I did notice tho that when I got it wet she had no interest in the little chunks, so I crushed it down real fine and sprinkled it over her greens and she consumes a lot more of it!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The oils in the feed will go rancid over time, and some of the nutrients will deteriorate. That will depend on how cool and dry you can store it. You can repack it in freezer bags and it will freeze for about a year or so according to most sources. In a typical storage situation it should last for several months. (Avoid long-term refrigeration- cool but very damp in most cases.)

Please note that Mazuri is a high carb/high energy food and should be pretty tightly limited as the company suggests- a bit less than 1/4 cup per pound of tortoise, or about 1/3rd cup per kilogram. You can use 'low energy' foods as filler- lettuce, mushrooms, flowers, etc.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I feed it once a week. It is high in protein which isn't a natural part of their diet. I prefer a more natural diet of grasses and weeds with veggies as treats.

Gus

5 Year Member
Hi LParkey

Mazuri pellet is really good for our tortoise and the past few yrs I have been losing a number of star tortoise untill I started feeding my star with it...

Just to share with you how often I fed them first of all I'm from singapore whole year round summer(super sunny) so full supply of all kind of veggie. every morning I would prepare a nice amount of veggie for 4 of my star tort and when I'm back in the evening about 730pm I would soak 10pellet with warm water and after feeding them I will wash the plate and present with veggie also and their doing fine and growing well...

LParkey said:
Ok peeps, I'm starting Mazuri tomorrow and need to know -

Do I add it into her diet slowly, and if so how do you suggest I best do so?
How often is it to be fed a week?
Is there anything else I need to know?

I have a small sulcata. Thanx in advance to all the responders, I greatly appreciate any and all input!

Btw do they sell mazuri in ebay??? you guys have any ebay link?

I bought my for 1lb(454g) for US$27... and over here only sell that amount.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HOLY COW!!! $27 for a single POUND???? That is how much I pay for an entire BAG!

I think if you go on Ebay and search for Mazuri, you will most likely find someone who sells it. I have bought online before but it is cheaper for me to have a local store order it for me.

Gus

5 Year Member
You really make it sound like i'm paying too much for a lb :(

Kristina said:
HOLY COW!!! $27 for a single POUND???? That is how much I pay for an entire BAG!

I think if you go on Ebay and search for Mazuri, you will most likely find someone who sells it. I have bought online before but it is cheaper for me to have a local store order it for me.

Thanks I just found out this link http :)//www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Mazuri-Diet-Tortoise-Food-6-lb-Best-Price-EBAY-/140698202911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c244331f )

which I pay less......Omg!!!:(

Kristina said:

Status
Not open for further replies.