Squirt’s upgrade

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
You may try to turn the viv upside down and remove one of the walls - you'll get the plank for the ramp and no need to use the table legs.

Also, check temperatures under the viv - it will block much heat from CHEs. I have 88F/85%RH over the "gallery" and 81F/100%RH under it in my enclosure.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You may try to turn the viv upside down and remove one of the walls - you'll get the plank for the ramp and no need to use the table legs.

Also, check temperatures under the viv - it will block much heat from CHEs. I have 88F/85%RH over the "gallery" and 81F/100%RH under it in my enclosure.
Ok once again that’s genius and I’m embarrassed I didn’t think of it😂😂this is why I come here🙌🏻 I’d definitely need to think of a way to make a boarder around the top though so she wouldn’t plod off🥲but hopefully we have enough wood for that, and yeah good point would need to make sure it’s not too cool underneath, won’t work if that’s the case, but least there’s a few ideas to try out😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
For the borders you can try coroplast thing (like a cardboard but plastic). Not sure if you can get sheets in bulk, but cheap IKEA Stuk storage boxes have it inside.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Squirts viv is coming this Friday! Sooner than we thought, yay!😁
It’s dawned on me, with the viv going on the floor now instead of being raised up, is it worth getting something like this to put on the outside of the glass? Probably around a third of the way up? They have a little chihuahua and I’m worried squirt seeing her trot past the viv all the time will stress her, but she’s been used to a glass front her whole life so maybe I’m worrying for nothing lol

Attachments

• 1378388D-9252-414A-8EF6-4BD8F754C797.png
    1378388D-9252-414A-8EF6-4BD8F754C797.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Squirts viv is coming this Friday! Sooner than we thought, yay!😁
It’s dawned on me, with the viv going on the floor now instead of being raised up, is it worth getting something like this to put on the outside of the glass? Probably around a third of the way up? They have a little chihuahua and I’m worried squirt seeing her trot past the viv all the time will stress her, but she’s been used to a glass front her whole life so maybe I’m worrying for nothing lol
I would be worry about dog going mad and trying to get a tortoise. This will be stressful for both. So either this decal or some supports to lift up the enclosure.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I would be worry about dog going mad and trying to get a tortoise. This will be stressful for both. So either this decal or some supports to lift up the enclosure.
Yeah I’ll get this vinyl for them for now, I agree I think they’ll both get stressed seeing one another through the glass, can always get a stand or something made at a later date too😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Viv arrived today! He decided he preferred we get a vinyl that matches the wood to put on the glass, so we went for this😊they’re away for the weekend now so it won’t get built till early next week but I’m heading there tomorrow with my friend to put the vinyl background on, least everything that could go majorly wrong already has now😂we’re finally in the home stretch of things, can’t wait to update you all when it’s done🥰

Attachments

• 021EBC0B-1BCA-4AA1-B39A-28E59F2E9ACF.png
    021EBC0B-1BCA-4AA1-B39A-28E59F2E9ACF.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 86D70462-C7F3-4617-9BEB-1F15F9160819.jpeg
    86D70462-C7F3-4617-9BEB-1F15F9160819.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Could I double check something with you guys, the viv delivery guy said the brand sealant we’re using cures and shouldn’t smell within 24hrs, everything else like the pond liner, resin stuff, vinyl, has been airing out for weeks so no longer has any kind of odour, I’m just curious, should we be leaving it sat once sealed for the week, or once we do the heating and get the substrate in for humidity are we to leave it? I’ll recommend which ever you guys think best🙂
also when testing the heating how long should we leave the bulbs in to make sure the levels are pretty much good, making us certain on the wattage? We were thinking around 2hrs keeping a close eye? before she’s in of course

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hm. I can't say for sure... Sealants and glues usually have "hardening time" in the manual - that's when chemical reaction takes place. You may double this time to be sure.

I would do "pre-heating" without any substrate - high temperatures might release all residue fumes from vivavirum wall, resins, plastics and so on.

I would leave heating on until temperature is stable (checking surfaces with a temperature gun). Perhaps, two hours is enough. If you use basking lamp you will need to test "day" and "night" modes.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hm. I can't say for sure... Sealants and glues usually have "hardening time" in the manual - that's when chemical reaction takes place. You may double this time to be sure.

I would do "pre-heating" without any substrate - high temperatures might release all residue fumes from vivavirum wall, resins, plastics and so on.

I would leave heating on until temperature is stable (checking surfaces with a temperature gun). Perhaps, two hours is enough. If you use basking lamp you will need to test "day" and "night" modes.
Yeah that’s fair enough, it’s definitely 24hrs for it to cure but it’ll be left around a week now till I’m back to help get all the heating and stuff in, we’ll test the heat for a few hrs before putting substrate in, we won’t have a basking light but he did want to mimic that drop from 86 in the warm end during the day to 80 so we’ll make sure that’s all stable too, I didn’t consider the heat setting the fumes off so think I’ll suggest once all the stuff is in, to just leave it until they feel it no longer has an odour.

Wall decor is on and looking good! Crappy pic sorry😂

Oh and I saw the viv people have actually given them the off cut from when they had to take it down, meaning we have a lot of wood to hopefully make some sort of platform in there at some point if that free viv didn’t work, yay!😁

Attachments

• 60B6D082-7A74-46CC-9DD1-6745072720F0.jpeg
    60B6D082-7A74-46CC-9DD1-6745072720F0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Lol been yet another delay in the build, his boa constrictor decided she wanted to go into shed this week😂so it’s not been safe to move her viv🥲they loved the background I did though! Haha😂
But yeah Bo we’ve not been waiting months to get this built or anything.. you take your time girl🤣

Enjoy this cute photo of her before going into shed❤️

Attachments

• 3E089CC8-1238-4DEA-9F96-9A90D8E2E50E.jpeg
    3E089CC8-1238-4DEA-9F96-9A90D8E2E50E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Well after some family delays with one thing and another🥲the viv has finally been built and sealed today!🥳going to start putting the heating and lights in on Monday then leave it to settle for a week or so, I’m so excited!! Will hopefully get some pics once it’s all set for you guys😁

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Aw in sad news though his snake isn’t feeling very well, she’s developed a small lump and won’t take her rats, so looks like a vet trip☹️Hopefully it’s nothing major! I’m sure we’ll get her sorted

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Waiting for the enclosure photos :) And I wish the snake to get well!
Bless you thank you! We’ve spoke to the vet over the phone and they aren’t too worried, quite common to get the odd lump n bump on them but definitely need to keep a close eye, we think she’s a bit bunged up bless her which could mean it’s a calcium lump, hopefully she’ll have a big 💩 soon and feel better😂
I’m not looking forward to having to help get a 7ft snake to the vet! I love her usually but she’s hella grumpy atm🥲
Mom is too scared and she’s too heavy for just him, so up to me🤣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
But on the other hand, it could be a great story to tell later :) Especially if you take a bus or taxi :)
Lol luckily we’ve got a car, over an hour to her vets so I’ll have a big old heavy snake in a big old box on my lap haha😂I’m just hoping she’ll behave! she’s feeling sassy🥲