Pond liner

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi folks, we have a big new viv coming Thursday for my family members red foot, I was considering getting some of this pond liner for the bottom, it’ll all be sealed, but thought this would be a good double protector under the substrate, the seal went on her old viv so it’s got me paranoid about the moisture escaping🥲
Is this safe for her? I’ve read some say it’s not good having pvc fabric constantly wet, then others say it’s absolutely fine to use, so curious what you folks thought

Attachments

• F25ACB76-AA86-48A5-9BD6-A8D09072033C.png
    F25ACB76-AA86-48A5-9BD6-A8D09072033C.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think a better question would be, "Is the new viv big enough?" How big is the tortoise? A full grown RF needs a pretty big space.

If the new viv is wood, seal it with a liquid sealer instead of pond liner. Then allow the seal to cure and off gas for a week or so before use.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I think a better question would be, "Is the new viv big enough?" How big is the tortoise? A full grown RF needs a pretty big space.

If the new viv is wood, seal it with a liquid sealer instead of pond liner. Then allow the seal to cure and off gas for a week or so before use.
It’s plenty big enough for her till I can build her an extension in the future😊the viv is melamine and will be sealed with aquatic seal regardless of the liner or not, just thought it might be good to create an extra layer of protection, we’ll take a week or so to set it all up for her👍🏻

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see no need for pond liner with melamine

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I see no need for pond liner with melamine
Fair enough, I’m probably just being paranoid after seeing her old one start to fail, but the wood it’s made of was never appropriate for a viv with her humidity.
I’m hoping as long as this new one is properly maintained and we keep on top of the seal, all shall be well

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I moved into this house 19 years ago and when I set up the tort tables I stapled shower curtain liner into place, then added orchid bark...the only place it has failed at all is the one with box turtles in it and they liked to dig the liner out....

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I moved into this house 19 years ago and when I set up the tort tables I stapled shower curtain liner into place, then added orchid bark...the only place it has failed at all is the one with box turtles in it and they liked to dig the liner out....
Funny you should say, we actually have a shower curtain lining her current viv cause the seal started to fail, it’s doing a really good job! I just couldn’t find one big enough for her new one so thought maybe this would do the trick

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hands down. The BEST pond liner is the one sold by FIRESTONE. (IMO)
It stays pliable and it's extra thick. It's the only one I found that offers a LIFETIME warranty. It's what I have under my patio fish pond.
Most of the very inexpensive ones on Amazon and Ebay are thin and stiff. But probably still a few steps better than shower curtain/shower liner.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It stays pliable and it's extra thick. It's the only one I found that offers a LIFETIME warranty. It's what I have under my patio fish pond.
Most of the very inexpensive ones on Amazon and Ebay are thin and stiff. But probably still a few steps better than shower curtain/shower liner.
Thanks for the recommendation😊I’ll definitely look into that brand to invest in the future cause that sounds exactly what we’re looking for, I figured with the low price of this one it’s probably not the most amazing quality, but like you say, should hopefully hold up better than a shower curtain, been lots of spends for the upgrade lately so wanted to keep the cost down for now as theres still some bits left to buy, I think it’ll do the job till I can get that better quality one for her, thanks again😊

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tarpaulin can work too and it's different sizes.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have only used shower curtain liners in my tort tables...I didn't buy the cheap ones and the only failure I have had was because 1 damn box turtle digging around discovered the liner and started to chew it and yank it out, then the others decided to help her and it became a mess...I have never had a tortoise act that way...
My point being...MY shower curtain liners have been in place for 19 years this May. proving they do work and last...so don't poo poo something just because you think they aren't any good...cuz they can be...
here is the box turtle liner...you can see it's not thin or cheapDSCN2523.JPG
or maybe you can't ...:)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I have only used shower curtain liners in my tort tables...I didn't buy the cheap ones and the only failure I have had was because 1 damn box turtle digging around discovered the liner and started to chew it and yank it out, then the others decided to help her and it became a mess...I have never had a tortoise act that way...
My point being...MY shower curtain liners have been in place for 19 years this May. proving they do work and last...so don't poo poo something just because you think they aren't any good...cuz they can be...
here is the box turtle liner...you can see it's not thin or cheapView attachment 367184
or maybe you can't ...:)
Yeah I think if yours is anything to go by it’s that a good shower curtain can last perfectly well, when you said the others started helping out that made me lol, bless her! There’s always one😂
I wish I could find a good one big enough for the viv to help with cost but unfortunately there isn’t one, but this may work perfectly as liner for her future extension😊