Sphagnum moss or not ???

de0908

Hi guys, just wondering if I can get some advice about Sphagnum moss as I've read so many conflicting things about it. Is it ok to have in my Sully's enclosure. I have some in both his hides. It's working womders with the humidity in his enclosure but I've read a few things saying that it's not a good idea to use it. He is about 8 months old and as yet I haven't seen him try to eat it. Basically I want to know is it ok to have it in there with him ?

Thanks

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Hi guys AND GALS, CAN I PLEASE HAVE FOLKS advice about Sphagnum moss? I've read so many conflicting things about it. Is it ok to have in my Sully's enclosure. Basically I want to know is it ok to have it in there with him ?
Thanks
I say yes, as long as it non-colored, organic and not the stuff used for flower decorations it's fine to use. As a matter of fact, I use moistened sphagnum moss for my hide boxes for my young tortoises. If it's eaten some I don't worry because it passes through them no problem,(organic). Just keep it well fed and it should be no problem.

de0908

I say yes, as long as it non-colored, organic and not the stuff used for flower decorations it's fine to use. As a matter of fact, I use moistened sphagnum moss for my hide boxes for my young tortoises. If it's eaten some I don't worry because it passes through them no problem,(organic). Just keep it well fed and it should be no problem.
Dead on Ken, thanks for the reply. I bought it in a pet shop and it's meant for reptiles so I'm assunimg it's the safe, organic stuff.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Dead on Ken, thanks for the reply. I bought it in a pet shop and it's meant for reptiles so I'm assunimg it's the safe, organic stuff.
I Just soak it and then squeeze the extra water out. I always fluff it a-little so digging in is easier.

Valerie0426

Do you ever have to replace the moss? I mean like every 3 months or something like that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried to use it many times in the past and all my tortoises try to eat it.

It has worked well for me for humid hides in snake and lizard enclosures though.

de0908

I've tried to use it many times in the past and all my tortoises try to eat it.

It has worked well for me for humid hides in snake and lizard enclosures though.
It seems to be doing the trick, keeping things nice and humid and since I converted his cage into a closed chamber, I can really see a difference in him. He is whole lot more alert than he was and is eating like a horse now. I guess the boost in humdity and temps is doing the trick. I'm gonna stick with it and just keep an eye on him for eating it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Do you ever have to replace the moss? I mean like every 3 months or something like that?
Yes it does seem to break down over time. I've needed to replace it after 3-6 months because to me, it lost its, "fluffy" factor. Or it could be as Tom indicated that it is being eaten and I just have not seen it with mine.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I never bothered with it . I just figured if the whole tank is between 80 to 90 % humidity , why would the hide need to be any more humid ? Not saying anyone is wrong , I just saw no need for it in my situation !