Soaking - How much is too much?

boxraddict

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Not trying to hijack this topic at all, but mine is active, eating, seems content in every way except when he gets a soak. He is not happy about that. Is this normal their first few soaks?

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Not trying to hijack this topic at all, but mine is active, eating, seems content in every way except when he gets a soak. He is not happy about that. Is this normal their first few soaks?
It can definitely freak them out if they're not used to it. Even when they get used to it, they can freak if left longer in than they want. Occasionally you'll get lucky and if using one they can walk in and out in (which I do only with nearby supervision), they'll go back in it. When THEY make the decision, it's "O.K."-like children!! Sensitive as he can be w/noise, vibrations & strangers, my male is finicky and real particular in a very sophisticated (my human standards) manner. He's about as scared of me as I'm scared of winning 80 million dollars, but if he doesn't want me to do a procedure, he will calmly walk the other way quite directly!

Loganius

I always fill my Russian's saucer with fresh water every morning. Everyday I have come home so far, the water is completely gone and in its place is a fair amount of his substrate, wet. This leads me to believe that he's getting in it almost everyday while I am at work or school. The saucer is in the corner of his enclosure and on the cool side so there is no way it could evaporate that fast, besides the dish is still wet when I go to check on him. What are the odds that he's doing this intentionally?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Putting it in the corner could be half the problem. Put it out in the middle somewhere. Tortoises have a way of walking the Fenceline so to speak. So he will crawl through it no matter what, doesn't mean he staying there or drinking any of it.