So animals do feel like humans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I thought it was a very interesting video. Search and Rescue dogs from various missions have issues from finding dead bodies. Dogs are almost like humans.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Come on, Candy, you have to fight the urge to agree with these things.... If not, Obama will be spending billions of dollars on mental health counseling for dogs. True or not, we can't afford to make a big deal about it.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
We could just call Cesar Milan he wouldn't cost that much. :D

chadk

10 Year Member!
LOL. Clearly any animal can suffer various forms of trauma. Has nothing to do with how much it is or isn't "like a human". Just take a trip to the shelter and it will only take a few minutes to see the clear signs of animals that have been badly abused.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not touching this one.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh too bad Dmmj I was so hoping that you would.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
not even with a ten foot pole.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
I think the dogs are reacting to the sounds and yelling more than seeing dead bodies...

I thought this post was going to be about physical pain, not emotional!

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Geeze, thats why I hate making comments on threads. Have any you ever deployed to another country and been under an extremely stressful situation? It leaves a mark regardless if your human or animal... Why shouldnt we spend money in the rehabilitation of these veterans? These Canines save lives! They are truly "Man's Best Friend".

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I'm all for spending money "rehabbing" dogs, I'm just against the use of taxpayer dollars for the project. It's always the people wanting to spend money on things like this that are paying little or no taxes to begin with. If the same people pulling for it were willing to foot the bill, they can spend to their heart's desire.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Our veteran's get shafted enough as it is. It would be hard for me to justify taking resources that should go to helping a soldier and his family...

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
remeber there is no difference between people and dogs.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
chadk said:
Our veteran's get shafted enough as it is. It would be hard for me to justify taking resources that should go to helping a soldier and his family...

Agreed - if they're looking for something to spend money on, current and past military people should be the ones getting it.

dmmj said:
remeber there is no difference between people and dogs.

That's true, at least from an off-track past debate, but genetically, there is a little difference. If I remember right, cows, mink and big abandoned sulcatas are all the same as people also.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TylerStewart said:
I'm all for spending money "rehabbing" dogs, I'm just against the use of taxpayer dollars for the project. It's always the people wanting to spend money on things like this that are paying little or no taxes to begin with. If the same people pulling for it were willing to foot the bill, they can spend to their heart's desire.

People dont care about a subject until it effects their lives. For example: If the "Big One" were to hit California and you were stuck under a ton of concrete.... You are really going to care if that Search & Rescue Canine is on the top of its game...and not hesitate to find you. Dogs have important Jobs: Search & Rescue, Police, Narcotics, Bomb Squad, Working with the blind, Therapy Dogs....the list is endless.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I thought ahead, though, and don't live in California. Nevada is just about the least prone state to any natural disasters. Plus, if I was stuck under a concrete block in California, Tom will come get me. His dogs are at the top of their game already.

My issue with it is that if the govt starts doing anything with it, they won't just spend a few bucks here, few bucks there. They'll throw billions towards it, and 90% of those billions will get sidetracked into building things that have nothing to do with dogs, or organizing a dog trainers union.

EDIT:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Im am currently enlisted in the U.S. Army...These Canines save lives...and are killed in the line of duty. They deserve treatment not disgarded after being used.

Just because a dog isn't getting face time with a therapist doesn't mean they're "discarded" after returning from a war zone. I would guess that just about 0% to 1% of these dogs become homeless after returning from war.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
chadk said:

Im am currently enlisted in the U.S. Army...These Canines save lives...and are killed in the line of duty. They deserve treatment not disgarded after being used.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tortuga_terrestre said:
TylerStewart said:

People dont care about a subject until it effects their lives. For example: If the "Big One" were to hit California and you were stuck under a ton of concrete.... You are really going to care if that Search & Rescue Canine is on the top of its game...and not hesitate to find you. Dogs have important Jobs: Search & Rescue, Police, Narcotics, Bomb Squad, Working with the blind, Therapy Dogs....the list is endless.

This is just about the best reply post I have ever seen. Thank you Walter for reminding us of what they do everyday. :D

chadk

10 Year Member!
Tortuga_terrestre said:
chadk said:

Do you have reason to believe they are being 'discarded' after being used?

Status
Not open for further replies.