Do we need entertainment this badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I really don't need entertainment in my movies or T.V. that badly, but I guess that's just me.

chadk

10 Year Member!
"that this one whale was kept in the equivalent of a human bathtub for 30 years or "

I want to know how big these people's bathtubs are :rolleyes:

Seriously... We have an extra large soaking tub with jets... and I still never use it since most of my body is left out of the water no mater how I contort... Maybe TMI... But you get my point - I'm fairly certain the whale had much more room than I do in my tub... Maybe a human bathroom is what they meant? Still don't buy it. Anyone have any pics of this tiny enclosure??

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think they are comparing the ocean to the 'small' pools they live in at Sea World. I sure as hell cant swim in my bathtub or dive down and jump into the air and splash.. ( not a pretty picture...HA!)
In the wild, they NEED to swim for miles in search of food.. in captivity,, its handed to them.. They train them to keep them fit and mentally stimulated.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think if you asked the staff at Sea World what they thought their purpose was in keeping animals in captivity, they would say that by getting people up close and personal with these animals they are hoping to enthrall and inspire the "audience" toward supporting conservation of marine animals.

I never really thought of zoo animals as being unfortunate for living in a captive environment. They have a predictable food supply, shelter from the elements, a comfortable temperature gradient, vet care for any illness or injury, no predators or alpha males pushing them out of a viable habitat...I guess one could argue that it's always better to leave animals to the capricious whims of nature, but I sure do enjoy observing exotic animals and learning about them.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I would like for you guys to view where they are kept at Sea World like I did today. They showed the area and compared it to us in a bathtub. Lets be real do you think the area provided is adequate? They need a lot more area then what they have is my point. I don't think you can argue with that. If we rescue them (and this is a few peoples argument) then why not heal them and release them back in the wild? There are sanctuaries for these whales why not send them there instead? Money, that's why. It's all about money not education. You can educate yourself without Sea World. I feel the same way about someone keeping full grown Sulcata or a Aldabra in a 10' x 10' yard just because they rescued them. If you rescue something you give it what it needs closest to nature and that's not what they gave this whale.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Even if the comparison of a human in a bathtub to a whale in the aquarium is inaccurate (as we can barely move in a bathtub) consider the whale's natural habitat- the ocean. An aquarium compared to the ocean.
To me that is the equivalent of locking one of us up in a room for the rest of our life. Yes we can move around and maybe run in a circle around the room. But it is obviously not enough space.
I'm with Candy on this one.
How is this educating people about whales if we aren't watching them in their natural habitat? How is taking your child to watch a whale perform tricks teaching them anything?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Exactly Chikat. Maybe I didn't say it clearly enough. I just don't want to see trainers hurt, but I really don't want to see animals abused and in unnatural situations. I don't think that keeping tigers and elephants is humane either. I've got to admit though I did watch a special once with a man who raised two Grizzly Bear cubs because their mother was killed and they definitely would have died without care. This man raised them outdoors in a wooded area with lots of room to roam, and he also trains them for movies. One day he might get hurt, but he was the best I had ever seen with these animals. It's almost like he has a gift with them. That I didn't disagree with. In fact I loved watching how much he loved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.