Sleepy tortoise

Emily feast

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help. I have a horsefield tortoise who is 11 months old.
My tortoise over the last few days doesn't seem herself. She's very sleepy and doesn't seem to have an appetite. She is mostly sleeping throughout the day and won't even eat her favourite food (dandelions which she normally goes crazy for). I've even took her out for a walk around the house which I do regularly and she is just going into the corners and trying to sleep. She is in a vivarium, with temperature of 33calcius on wood chippings and half sand with a basking and Uv light. I don't think it's her home as she has been happy here. She's laid on me now and is just sleeping again.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Emily.
In your other thread you didn't make it clear if you ditched the heat mat and changed the bulb.
Did you read the care sheets and follow them ?
Half sand in the enclosure is not good, sand can be swallowed and cause impaction and sometimes death.
Taking the tortoise for walks around the house is also a risk as temperatures and humidity are impossible to control and objects can be swallowed, even dust bunnies are potentially dangerous.
What is the humidity in the enclosure ? Your substrate sounds like it may be very dry.
Also at this time of year, some Mediterranean tortoises start to slow down, quit eating and seek cooler corners in preparation for brumation. You may need to up your temperatures, ensure she gets 12 to 14 hours artificial daylight and keep offering irresistible snacks to encourage her to start eating again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

I can't see any pictures of your tort. Pictures of the enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

The problem with activity is almost always temperature related.

You need 30-35C directly under the basking lamp. But your enclosure needs cooler areas too and that can be hard to achieve in a viv.

Emily feast

Hi, Emily.
In your other thread you didn't make it clear if you ditched the heat mat and changed the bulb.
Did you read the care sheets and follow them ?
Half sand in the enclosure is not good, sand can be swallowed and cause impaction and sometimes death.
Taking the tortoise for walks around the house is also a risk as temperatures and humidity are impossible to control and objects can be swallowed, even dust bunnies are potentially dangerous.
What is the humidity in the enclosure ? Your substrate sounds like it may be very dry.
Also at this time of year, some Mediterranean tortoises start to slow down, quit eating and seek cooler corners in preparation for brumation. You may need to up your temperatures, ensure she gets 12 to 14 hours artificial daylight and keep offering irresistible snacks to encourage her to start eating again.
Hi
Yes we got rid of the heat mat and changed her uv light and heat bulb and she is 100% better now just from doing that. She is just like this now. I'm not sure what her humidity is?? Is there a way I can control the humidity for it to be correct for her? And I'm also having trouble with her temperature her cool side is 30xelcius which I now is way too warm. Any recommendations how I make it cooler at one side?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi
Yes we got rid of the heat mat and changed her uv light and heat bulb and she is 100% better now just from doing that. She is just like this now. I'm not sure what her humidity is?? Is there a way I can control the humidity for it to be correct for her? And I'm also having trouble with her temperature her cool side is 30xelcius which I now is way too warm. Any recommendations how I make it cooler at one side?
You need to buy a hygrometer to measure the humidity. This is most important. Pet stores or something like Amazon can supply them.
How big is the enclosure ? I suspect you can't get a cool side because it's not far enough away from the basking spot.

Emily feast

Can anyone tell me, if I spray water into her home does this make the humidity better?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can anyone tell me, if I spray water into her home does this make the humidity better?
To improve humidity, you must:

- Have damp ( not wet) substrate. Take all the decor out, tip a jug of water in and mix it with you hands thoroughly so all the substrate is damp.

- Have a lid or cover. The lid must not obstruct the lamps, so you may have a gap where they are

- Spraying helps to slow drying out.

How quickly it dries depends on your home and the climate where you live.