Ill Russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily feast

Hello everybody,
I really need your help. My horsefield tortoise is just 1 years old- and we are not hibernating her. For the last couple of months I have seen a big change in her behaviour which I understand is because it is winter. She has slowed down with eating and basking and being active. However in the last two weeks or so I have been extremely worried- she is beginning to just sleep in a corner all day and isn't even eating one mouthful of food. She doesn't weigh a lot either. Her temperature is fine (as it has always been, however I have made it a tad warmer due to the winter month). I have tried bathing her, hand feeding her and letting her walk around the house which she normally enjoys. I really don't know what else to suggest I feel that she is going to become extremely ill and I am very worried as I have tried everything I can think of. Can someone please help?
Thank you

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
For overwintering your tortoise you also need to ensure she has artificial daylight hours of 12 to 14 hours a day. What is the ambient temperature ?
Walking around the house is not good, the temperature can be very different at floor level, drafts can make a tortoise sick and if she's eaten a small object or even a dust bunny, then she may be impacted and thus not eating.
Try offering special treats that she is unable to resist but perhaps we wouldn't normally feed to see if you can get her appetite perked up as she may just be determined to hibernate. I will offer something naughty and then when the mouth is open, pop in something healthy. :)

Emily feast

For overwintering your tortoise you also need to ensure she has artificial daylight hours of 12 to 14 hours a day. What is the ambient temperature ?
Walking around the house is not good, the temperature can be very different at floor level, drafts can make a tortoise sick and if she's eaten a small object or even a dust bunny, then she may be impacted and thus not eating.
Try offering special treats that she is unable to resist but perhaps we wouldn't normally feed to see if you can get her appetite perked up as she may just be determined to hibernate. I will offer something naughty and then when the mouth is open, pop in something healthy. :)
I have tried feeding treats, she normally goes crazy for cucumber and cannot get enough! Even that won't work Dandelions are her favourite, I even go walking to try and find them but I have no look due to the cold weather. I really don't know what to do! Her temperature is 33 Celsius under her basking spot and the viv temperature is around 29

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I would up the basking spot temperature to 35 or 36°.
Maybe try tomato and pop other stuff in.
If she continues not eating, i would take her to a recognized herp vet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your tortoise sounds too cold to me, what are your temperatures? Warm side, basking, cool side and overall?

Nannon

Cardiff
At that age 1 year she should be having daily warm baths, calcium x3 weekly and a A and B uv light.You don't mention if she has a toitoise table or aquarium the latter has poor ventilation. If you allow walking on floor 30 minutes maximum.
My son hatched his toitoise eggs and 2 survived. Dee Dee and Poe which my daughter has reared. They are now 2 years old Dee Dee 1lb 7ozs and Poe 13ozs

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
The post from 2017. Hopefully the tortoise is alright.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The original poster hasn't been back to the Forum since 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.