Newbie-please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

beccayauyau

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I just bought my russian tortoise yesterday! She's two years old. She's not got a name yet so suggestions would be cool :) I'm so paranoid about everything little thing she does hehe! I have a few problems, she doesn't seem to be eating anything or drinking her water...(she has gem lettuce today) and she also has a red eye which is a little swollen with little bubbles on her eye-is this normal??

Please give me some advice!
Thank you!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    829.2 KB · Views: 32

Dawn

5 Year Member
beccayauyau said:
Hi everyone, I just bought my russian tortoise yesterday! She's two years old. She's not got a name yet so suggestions would be cool :) I'm so paranoid about everything little thing she does hehe! I have a few problems, she doesn't seem to be eating anything or drinking her water...(she has gem lettuce today) and she also has a red eye which is a little swollen with little bubbles on her eye-is this normal??

Please give me some advice!
Thank you!

Hi, congrats on your new babe. I also have a russian and love him to pieces. I'm no exotics expert, but I have seen several russian and other torts come through my animal hospital w\ 'eye' issues and I don't think what you're describing is 'normal'. I'd find an exotics vet in your area and have him\her checked out relatively quick just in case. Call the hospital and ask if the exotics vet sees tortoises as many exotic vets see species other than small and large animal (like snakes,rabbits, birds, etc.) but know very little regarding tortoises. There's a cool thread on this website that has a list of tortoise vets....I don't remember which forum it is, someone else I'm sure will post it in. Good Luck and maybe post some close up pics as I'm sure some of the experienced members here can give you some thoughts as to what's going on.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum. I know first off I would do some search's on here annd see what others are feeding their russians. 2nd, if the eye don't clear up I would get it to an exotic vet to have her looked at. Good luck and I am sure some others will chime in with a lot more info for u!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi beccayauyau:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your eye problem might stem from the substrate you're using. Is that pine shavings? I'd like to see you change it to something that you can moisten. My preference is orchid bark or cypress mulch, but there are others that are good, like coconut coir, etc.

May we know your name and where you are?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Are you using one of those coil type UV bulbs? Those can damage their eyes.

I'd call where ever you bought her from and let them know there is a problem and you are going to the vet. They may have their own vet and pay for it, since you just got it yesterday.

You can also try a warm water soak and some sunshine. Sometimes they will eat better outside in a nice safe enclosure.

Missy82

5 Year Member
south wales
What was she being fed on in the shop? This could effect what shes eating now. It may take her a few days to eat anything she might need to settle in to her new home.
She needs to see a vet about the eye but try contactimg the shop you got her from first. And I agree about the substrate not only is it dry but russians love to dig. I use mainly top soil with coconut coir and atleast 5 inches deep.
Good luck and I hope the eye isnt anything 2 bad :)

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Don't worry about her not eating right away. My tortoise barely ate unless I brought him to his food bowl. Tooked him about 4 weeks to know learn to eat by himself. But if she actually doesn't eat the food then that could be a problem...

beccayauyau

5 Year Member
Thanks for everyone's advice :) She seems to be eating quite well now! I've had her for 3 days now and she loves eating hehe! The redness on her left eye seems to be getting better but if it gets any worse i will take her to the vet! She's settling in very well! I am using wood shavings but her eye seemed to be already like that when i bought her. I have named her Toto (like the wizard of oz dog)!

THANK YOU TRILLIONS :)

I'm from the UK, <----someone asked me!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Love the name Toto. :D Glad that it seems she has settled in and is eating so well for you. A belated welcome to the forum, too. :tort:

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
welcome. It would be a good idea to find a tortoise vet in your area anyway for future use. Look at the vet list on this forum and you might find one in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.