Simple question about parasites?!?

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
Hello to all the torts and their owners.
Right now we have three redfoots between 7mo to almost 4yr. And would like to know if there is some kind of a plant or a natural way to keep the torts without parasites???

If not?!?

There is somekind of medicine or treatment that I can use to keep them clean. Without going to the vet. Or need to take a stool sample and take it to the vet to check if there is any parasites or to know a type of parasite it may have in that case use a particular medicine??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my opinion, if there is no reason to treat with medicine (poison) then don't. My torts will never see a vet, unless something comes up that says they need to. Medicine is not always a good thing.
Now, as for worms, it's said that pumpkin is a natural dewormer, feed skin, meat, seeds and all. This I will feed come fall, not over doing it though. I feed it mainly as a treat more then worrying about deworming them. I will also freeze some to give further into winter once in a while.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Thats a good idea.
The thing is that I was told that in my case the redfoot need to be deworm or de-parasites every 6 months.

Last year me and my wife bought a Redfoot from Petsmart and died in the second month with us do to parasites and worms in her intestine.

And on march we got a little Red and did a stool sample for the two that we had. And both were clean.
Last friday we got a third red still taking a stool sample to check that she is clean.
But want to make something in some way to keep them clean.

I will start with the pumpkin.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It doesn't hurt to have them checked for parasites, specially from a petsmart or Petco, lots of their torts are WC. I just would not treat an animal of any kind unless there was actually something there to treat for. Also, any new torts you bring in, should be quarantined from the rest for at least 3-6 months. Longer the better.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A good argument, for 6 month quarantine.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
At the moment I have all three in their separate enclosure. Lets wish Fang start eating more so I can take the sample.

Im planning for next month build a huge enclosure for all three of them.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Hedwig the little one have been 4 months alone in her area. And Dobby is going to be 1 yr on aug. Fang is just 5 days.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Also I know that Dobby and Hedwig are clean of worms. In any case that Fang have worms or parasites. There is some way to treat it without those wierd names medicine?? Or thats the only way?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a note of clarification on pumpkin as a de-wormer...the pumpkin itself does not get rid of parasites, it's the seeds. You have to dry the seeds then grind them up and sprinkle the seed dust over the tortoise's food.

Some of our members swear by the powder you buy at the pet store for de-worming. I've never tried it, but its supposed to be a bottled powder and easy to use.

Some people also swear by using food grade diatomaceous earth.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Ohhhhh!!!!!

Well I can go with the pumpkin seed, I have a whole bunch of them in the backyard organic grown.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!