Sulcata Tortoise with Parasitic Worms

B31415

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I took my Sulcata hatchling to the vet today for the twice time in as many months. He had all the symptoms of an respiratory infection and the antibiotics I had been given two months ago didn't help him. Anyway, the vet decided to do a stool sample and found that he has intestinal parasites. He is now taking anti-parasitic medicine and antibiotics.

My question is, how did he get these parasites? Did he likely have this problem whenever I received him two months ago, or is it possible that he got a parasite from his supervised trips in my front yard where he can roam around and eat grass?
Also, is it best to do routine anti-worming for tortoises (like you would do for a dog)? Or is it only on an as-needed basis?
Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know for sure, but I've long felt that after birds poop on the grass and then tortoises eat that grass, that's how they get parasites. It might also be that the mother had parasites and if her babies were kept on the same substrate or area where the mother was kept, he got it that way.

You can take a stool sample to the vet to check for parasite eggs a couple times a year. I don't believe in just de-worming for the sake of de-worming.