Should i use this?

jorg

5 Year Member
Hello guys,

This is some wood left over from my garden. Can i use this or is it toxic? I am not sure so i ask for opinions here.

Jorg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Well that's very vague. It could be anything. It depends on the wood and what it has been treated with.

jorg

5 Year Member
Well that's very vague. It could be anything. It depends on the wood and what it has been treated with.

So it is a risk you think? I stored it for years in my garage so it's dry for sure

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So it is a risk you think? I stored it for years in my garage so it's dry for sure
The risk is minimised in that your tort won't chew it. If it's simply pressure treated timber, I wouldn't see it as a problem at all. It's creosote and other preservatives that may be a problem if they've been used. It's when it's in the heat and damp that you're likely to get chemical leeching

jorg

5 Year Member
I guess it is pressure treated. I'll try and keep an eye on them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a great big stockpile of used lumber that I have saved to use in tortoise building. I've made sheds, tables, fences for tortoises with this used lumber.

Your used lumber is more than likely ok to use. What were you going to build with it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, that's really nice. And judging from the size of the doorway, it's a nice size for your tortoise. Repurposed lumber would be fine for this project.