Should I be concerned about my Russian's eating habits?

russiantort24

My Russian is about 13-14 years old ( the previous owner said he was 12 about a year and a half ago but I don't know his exact birthday ). This summer and long before he would roam all over outside in my backyard and would eat a lot. Then, after we went away for a week in early July ( I had my friend come feed him and take him out to play) he slowly began to get less active and eat less. Now he's more active but barely eats. I feed him lettuce, endive, started feeding him escarole, Zoo Med grass food, and a bit of Rep Cal pellets because he loves them. He also forages for flowers in my backyard ( which I've checked and they are ok for his consumption). He'll eat a bit of whatever i give then he gets uninterested.
-Temps are in the 80-90's where he is
- I soak him 1x a week
-He doesn't seem to have any nose runnage but did once a week ago. But I don't think it's anything to worry about

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Russian for about a week now has not eaten as much as he normally does. I'm not sure if it's the change in weather, nights are colder, days are still warm/hot. Just keep an eye on him. As long as he's eating and drinking, it may just be a slow down. I know my Russian goes thru a slow down twice a year. Once in the winter and once in the fall. It seems a little early for the fall one, but I don't really remember the exact times. Be sure to double check temps and that he can bask under 95 degree area. If it's a slow down, mine usually last about 2 weeks give or take then he's back to eating like a pig.

russiantort24

My Russian for about a week now has not eaten as much as he normally does. I'm not sure if it's the change in weather, nights are colder, days are still warm/hot. Just keep an eye on him. As long as he's eating and drinking, it may just be a slow down. I know my Russian goes thru a slow down twice a year. Once in the winter and once in the fall. It seems a little early for the fall one, but I don't really remember the exact times. Be sure to double check temps and that he can bask under 95 degree area. If it's a slow down, mine usually last about 2 weeks give or take then he's back to eating like a pig.
thank you so much! Yes it's been a few days where he really has barely eaten so hopefully he'll get out of this slow down soon.