not Eating

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Over the past week or two my Russian Tortoise has lost his appetite. He`ll peck at his food when I put it in his enclosure, but doesnt really eat much, and now I am starting to worry. He is active and I have seen him drink. His cool side is 80 and Hot spot is about 100, with temperatures varying depending on how warm or cool my room is. He has a brand new Powersun 100 for uvb. Diet for this week is Collards, with Mustards last week. Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The temps probably need to be more steady. You said it varies according to your room temp. Also be sure to be reading temps at tort level and that your using a good thermometer to read those temps. Those round disc type ones usually aren't accurate. Be sure to get more stable temps and is there any humidity? At least 30-50% adult, 80% for hatchling to two years at least.
Also what size enclosure is he in?

Kasia

Poland
Over the past week or two my Russian Tortoise has lost his appetite. He`ll peck at his food when I put it in his enclosure, but doesnt really eat much, and now I am starting to worry. He is active and I have seen him drink. His cool side is 80 and Hot spot is about 100, with temperatures varying depending on how warm or cool my room is. He has a brand new Powersun 100 for uvb. Diet for this week is Collards, with Mustards last week. Any suggestions?
The temps probably need to be more steady. You said it varies according to your room temp. Also be sure to be reading temps at tort level and that your using a good thermometer to read those temps. Those round disc type ones usually aren't accurate. Be sure to get more stable temps and is there any humidity? At least 30-50% adult, 80% for hatchling to two years at least.
Also what size enclosure is he in?
I would additionally ask what is his diet? Except mustard and collard greens...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The cool side is 80 degrees? If that is accurate, that is much too hot. Your temperatures can vary, that's not an issue they just need to remain within tolerable activity levels. Russian tortoises, as well as many other northern species are not as active when the temperatures begin to rise toward the mid 80's. You will find that you tortoise will be much more active in temperatures in the low to high 70's along with a hotter localized basking area. When it begins to get to hot they will seek shelter to escape heat. They regulate their body temperature by seeking different temperature gradients. Too hot can be as bad for them as being too cold. They can easily become stressed (and dehydrated) with constant exposure to temperatures too high.

Diet needs to be much more varied and of good quality. This time of year if you are in area where you have access to safe (not chemically sprayed) weeds you can feed dandelion, clover, mallow, sow thistle, vetch, chicory, broad & narrow leaf plantain and many more. If you do not have access to wild plants you can feed grocery store greens such as dandelion, chicory, endive, escarole, arugula, carrot tops, beet tops, mustard and collard greens, kale, and some others. You can also add some vegetables to increase your tortoises exposure to additional vitamins and minerals. Pumpkin, squashes, sweet potato and legumes such as green & yellow beans and peas are good as well as carrot occasionally. Vegetables should only make up about 20-25% maximum of a Testudo species diet.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
He eats other stuff as well, Arugula, Turnip Greens, Spring Mix,I just go by the week. One week of this, one week of that. I heard that 80 is not to high during the summer months, but aestivation was something I was think of. Temperatures were taken using an IR thermometer.