Shell cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
Does anybody use reptomin shell cream on their torts, and is it beneficial? Someone gave me a jar, not sure if I should use it, I guess that's the real turtle wax!! Lol!! 

morloch

5 Year Member
Wow! Thanks Tom just read everyones comments, I'm going to try it weekly,, see how it goes!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
May I request that you do photos and updates so we can all learn from how well it works for you.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I never understood why anyone would buy that stuff, nevermind use it. My torts/turtles get UVB on their shells...not waxes,oils,FD&C Yellow #6..(<--- what is that anyways?).

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't run into any of that in the wild, so they wont in my care either.

Just my 2 cents.

morloch

5 Year Member
Well I'm still going to try it,,, what the heck,, nobody gives them vitamins in the wild,, calcium supplements or processed foods( mazuri etc), or fancy enclosures , so I don't think a little cream is going to hurt, I'll compare my tortoise to my friends and see if there's any difference in a few months or so,,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's the spirit!!!

That is how knowledge advances and new things are learned. Thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would like to see the effects (good or bad) I hope you post a lot of comparison pics, but I believe it will be a zero gain, no harm no foul type of thing.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, not sure , used it on my slider and vet told me to get rid of it. they dont use it in the wild. i dont use it but who knows.

babylove6635

5 Year Member
i use vita shell once a week on my rt's i dont know if it does any good or not but the vet told me to use it on one that was in water but latter died. so i figured if i have it i just as well use it

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Can't you also use vasaline on a tort if they have a dry shell?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
ewam said:
Can't you also use vasaline on a tort if they have a dry shell?

I am not sure I would use that sort of thing- it is heavier than what I would generally recommend (plain white hand or baby lotion, baby or light cooking oil, etc.)

Dry shell by itself does not mean much. It could be that the basking area is too hot and dry, that the tort is getting dehydrated, that the overall humidity is not what it should be, etc.

I would recommend using other clues to determine what the real problem is and fixing it.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Ok i don't use it or anything though I just read that somewhere a while ago.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
zzzdanz said:
I never understood why anyone would buy that stuff, nevermind use it. My torts/turtles get UVB on their shells...not waxes,oils,FD&C Yellow #6..(<--- what is that anyways?).

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't run into any of that in the wild, so they wont in my care either.

Just my 2 cents.

I do not mean to pick on you here, but the 'would not happen in the wild' comment is often heard, but I am not always sure it means anything.

Certainly, we want to offer a 'wild-like' experience in many ways- all of their instincts are based on what they would find in the wild and it is stressful to fight those instincts, but...
--- a wild tortoises is not being raised in a box that sort of resembles an Easy Bake Oven- semi-enclosed, hot overhead bulb, artificially created light, heat, and humidity, etc.
--- a wild tortoise would not eat a single large, rich meal a day made up of a limited selection of foods from a local store, that themselves have been sprayed, treated, trucked hundreds of miles, etc.
--- our substrates, hides, water dishes, food dishes, and enclosure sizes are not very natural, no matter how attractive they may be.
--- wild tortoises are not stared at by giant mysterious predators all the time, or picked up and handled by said creatures. They also don't have to deal with the things we take for granted- the noises, lights, vibrations, smells, or activity cycles of the typical home.

Or, to use a very short-hand way of saying all of this- wild tortoises rarely pyramid. Captive tortoises do all the time.

I apologize that this is a sort of 'hot button' for me, and again, I am not trying to pick on you, zzzdanz, just commenting about all the times I see this phrase.

"Wild tortoises don't ________ (fill in the blank- use shell cream, eat cat kibble, eat grains or hard-boiled eggs, get forced soaks, etc., etc., etc.). All of which is 100% true, but they also don't sleep in half log hides, have round water dishes, have glass (or plastic or wood) walls, etc., etc., etc.

OK, soapbox mode off.

Status
Not open for further replies.