FOR SHELL???

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
16965_TfV2oz_0410_84116_640x640.jpg Hi All,
Just wondered has anyone ever used some kind of cream on their torts shell?
Like I do have this cream that is just for torts shells etc it is called VitaShell made
by Tetra? I was wonder has anyone tried say like I have this really good co co
nut pure cream from Plamers or I have 100% real Aloe Vera? Just if your torts shell
might look dried or mine with those swirly bubble marks might help them to go away?
I mean I have heard that some people have tried foot cream it is better then that any of these things at least these things a natural?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise's bubbly marks are telling you that your baby is healthy. Why would you want them to go away? Take a look at pictures of very, very healthy horses. You'll see circles in their coat called dappling. Here's a picture of a normal, healthy brown coat color:

edbb24fa36215588eed03d0f2e274d43.jpg

These marks in the coat indicate the horses bloom of health. The same way your baby's white squiggly lines are telling you your baby is healthy. He doesn't need any shell polish to make him more healthy, and you certainly don't want to polish those lines away. It's not possible anyway, as the white squiggly lines are inside the keratin, not on the surface.

The people who have used athlete foot cream on their tortoise's shells was because of its antifungal properties, to cure shell rot. Your baby does not have shell rot.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi Yvonne,
Once again you know what just to say. lol I dont know if you can compare horses to torts but
I get what you mean. lol Thanks

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi Yvonne,
Can I ask you how much would you bath Sunny now? I was every other day? I am thinking now
every 2 days might be alright seeing he is on his way to good health from the Petstore? And how
do you measure your torts? Up against a wall make a mark then take the tort away and measure
the straight line? I did measure over his shell and was told that was wrong? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I soak my babies every day up until they're a year old and living outside. Then I make sure I see them getting into the waterer on their own, and I soak every other day or even every two days. But if they're not getting into the waterer on their own, I continue to soak daily.

Put the tape measure up against the wall then put the tortoise on the tape measure and tap him until his nose is inside the shell. The reading at the back end of the tortoise is the SCL, or straight carapace length

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi Yvonne,
My guy is staying indoors. lol I think I might try every 2 days to bath him. I just want to see
if those marks better? Just to see if bathing him to much might be it? Just to see.
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have an indoor tortoise and it's a young tortoise, and it's a yellowfooted tortoise, you need to soak him daily for 15 minutes. Plus he needs to be kept in a humid environment with lots of plants so he can get away from the light.

You are giving the white squiggly lines too much power. Forget about them. Be glad that he has them as it shows he's healthy and growing.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi Yvonne,
Yes, once again your right. I just treat him like a Redfoot for care and I guess I seems to be
working? lol I guess I forget also he still might be getting over being at the PetSmart? Maybe
like you said those swirl marks etc are from being in my good conditions and that he was in such bad ones at PetSmart??
I guess it might take him awhile to recover in my good conditions? Something might show from being
in such bad conditions and now in my good ones, there is got to be something that shows? Thanks

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
I just saw that in those pics when you go on the form someone
is feeding baby food? Can you do that? Is that good for them?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We use baby food soaks on babies that have swollen shut eyes. Your tortoise would not benefit from baby food soaks.

Prairie Mom

Hi Kelly,
I'd be grateful if you would post a photo of the "swirly bubble marks" you and Yvonne have been talking about. I'm unfamiliar with this and would be very curious to see. :)

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
They are really funny? lol They are flat look almost11419722_10152784619911968_649414870_n.jpg like his colour but not? It is the bubble swirly marks
in the middle of his scales? Thanks