Sex Confirmation

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Each of these three tortoises is around 16-17". I need someone with more radiata experience than me to confirm the sexes:
IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello Tom,

They all appear to me to be females. Males at 16" would have longer and very thick-based tails and much more prominent anal scutes along with deeper plastral concavities than what I am able to see in these photos.

How old are these tortoises, if you know their ages?

Bill Z

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Tom,

They all appear to me to be females. Males at 16" would have longer and very thick-based tails and much more prominent anal scutes along with deeper plastral concavities than what I am able to see in these photos.

How old are these tortoises, if you know their ages?

Bill Z

Thanks so much for replying Bill. These were given to a friend and he was told they are all female and around 8 years old. I told him they looked female to me, but I wanted to confirm since I am not experienced with radiata.

Much appreciated and I'm glad to know you are around the site! :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
You are welcome, Tom. I am primarily just a lurker, but every so often, I contribute when I think it will be of help.

I guess your friend may decide he wants to add a male sooner or later with three nice big females like those. Do you know their origin(s) and whether or not they have studbook numbers?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I agree w/ Bill, look female to me. Anal scutes are very narrow which is very female like. Males are much wider.