Males or females?

Frogg.Queen

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, HI
Just got these 3 happy redfoot tortoises. Can someone help me determine these 2 adult's sexes?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500077394.506516.jpg
Adult 1, the largest of the trio
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500077421.287495.jpg
Adult 2, almost as large as the first, but not there quite yet. :,)
The third one looks to be juvenile, so I don't think his/her sex can be determined yet.
Any guesses for the sexes of the 2 adults??

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Male is on the right see the big V and big fat tale !

Attachments

• 1500079134674.jpg
    1500079134674.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 33

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
Male is on the right see the big V and big fat tale !
Aw man, I guess they're both females. XD I was hoping for at least one male so they could breed. At least I know they won't be getting into random fights ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for your help! :^)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
At least I know they won't be getting into random fights ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, I have one female that is the Queen B**** - You never know.

Also, I concur, females. I my last 2 'females' that were given to me turned out ot be immature males. We have a 1:1 ratio and sometimes it feels like a sausage party.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
If you post a pic of the juvenile (depending on its size) we could try and at least give you guesses as to its gender.

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, I have one female that is the Queen B**** - You never know.

Also, I concur, females. I my last 2 'females' that were given to me turned out ot be immature males. We have a 1:1 ratio and sometimes it feels like a sausage party.
I see. I've had my 3 tortoises for almost a week now. They don't show aggression to each other, and they're all eating and active.
I keep looking at all of them and occasionally checking under their shells to see if I'm 100% sure they're male or female.
The oldest tortoise I know is for sure a female (the first one shown), but I'm beginning to be unsure about the other 2 tortoise's sexes.
The person who gave them to me said her guess was that the oldest was female, and the other 2 are males, but she never was 100% sure about it.
I'll have to just wait and see how they grow and develops ig, thank you for the tip!! :^)

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
Look like surefire females to me. IIRC someone is selling males on Oahu so you may want to add a male if you are planning on breeding them.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pet/d/red-footed-tortoise-mature/6186126863.html

If you are interested ask them for pic of the plastron and the tail. They may actually be immature males as of this time and not ready to breed in spite of the title on the listing
I've thought about getting a male, but I'm not entirely sure yet since my tortoises are still adjusting to their new home. Thank you for your help! :^) I'll wait maybe a month or so to see if breeding would be a good option tho

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500608788.432155.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500608815.449053.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500608836.337508.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500608848.853063.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500608869.419614.jpg
Posting more images of the trio!! :^)
I've had them now for 7 days, and I can tell for sure that the oldest one (shown in the last photo) is a 12" long, super sweet and curious, female! :,))
I'm still unsure about the other 2, as their different features keep throwing me off for whether they're males or females.
The youngest RF (photo 1&2) is still unknown, but I call him a boy since he seems to tuck in his tail toward the side... (tho I'm aware this feature isn't really significant for redfoots.) His shell is 7-8" in length
The second youngest (photos 3&4) at fist looked like a female to me, but after taking a better look at the shape of her shell she looked to be wasping (the way a male RF tortoise's shell does). Her(or his) shell is a good 10.5" long, and her anal scutes in comparison to the eldest female, don't look egg shaped to me(?¿), but that could just be me ://?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Are there any signs of male/female activity differences I should look out for when watching them? They all don't seem to show off any breeding activity or aggression from what I've seen.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've had great success in keeping female RF together. Yes. Even in pairs. As long as you give them loads of room.(as in an outdoors enclosure)
Adding a male changes the dynamics. Then some aggression shows up. Both in the male wanting some "love", and in the females trying to be left alone.
If you are NOT interested in breeding, keep it all ladies and count yourself as lucky.