Several Aldabras Have been Found Dead In A Forest In The UK

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Yes I’m so sad to hear about it. I echo the comments on here. No excuse for such cruelty 🤬 A zoo or sanctuary somewhere would have helped I’m sure. Unfortunately animal crime doesn’t carry the sentences it deserves.
It does where I live. Animal cruelty is a class 5 felony

MaNaAk

Southend
Yes I’m so sad to hear about it. I echo the comments on here. No excuse for such cruelty 🤬 A zoo or sanctuary somewhere would have helped I’m sure. Unfortunately animal crime doesn’t carry the sentences it deserves.
I know my vets would have helped.

MaNaAk

myk

London ontario
It is illegal to import tortoises in this country now. I can't stand to think that here doing my best for Jacky and there are people like this.

Natrah
I'm in Canada, you can't border cross with any turtles or tortoises,,unless you have a permit that's your pet, even some province's are restricted

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I really think it had to be smuggling because they were healthy before. That I'm not sure of but still if their shells were healthy and nice... Then someone that knew what they're doing had them before. Those type of people wouldn't just let them loose. I guess that's just my opinion..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awful hard to smuggle such large tortoises.
I think someone got overwhelmed and couldn't care for them any more. I don't know how easy it would be in the UK to sell so many large tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think someone got overwhelmed and couldn't care for them any more. I don't know how easy it would be in the UK to sell so many large tortoises.
The pictures of them showed tortoises that hadn't received the best car.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pictures of them showed tortoises that hadn't received the best car.
The only picture I seen were of three dead ones. Except for something white or sandy on them and pyramided, they didn't look all that bad. Not what I would have expected for someone possibly dumping them. Even the pyramiding wasn't as bad as some I've seen, even on here. Hard to tell by the pics how skinny they might have been.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm just heartbroken to hear about this. I do agree that we need to reconsider our animal abuse penalties in many locations; I think it would show that animals should be viewed in higher regard. It's unfortunate that so many people look the other way when it comes to the suffering of animals. I like to think of us all as distant cousins; it helps me to respect everything from fungi to whales. (And yes, I give trees the occasional hug. They've never said they disliked it.) 🌱

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is heartbreaking! I am so sad and angry for those poor torts, they are such beautiful, gentle creatures.
There is no excuse for this - if he couldn't cope with them anymore there are plenty of animal rescues, safari parks and zoos in the UK who would have helped, or if all else failed he could have had them humanely euthanised. rather than let them starve or freeze to death.
The man should be locked up, but if past animal cruelty cases in the UK are anything to go by I bet he just gets a ban from keeping them again.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It is such a sad story and with the freezing cold UK temps they have no hope of survival. There appears to be.....Two more dead tortoises have been found by police investigating the deaths of several giant tortoises in woodland.

In another article today we has an alligator snapping turtle found in Cumbria in the North. Its been called
fluffy and was taken to a vet who is keeping it safe to give to a zoo or a private owner.
What is wrong with people?:
We have a few turtles that have been released into our local canal which will probably end up being caught and euthanised rather than rehomed which is a great shame.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I agree.
I don't think there would be a market for them to sell on such large torts in the UK.
Having said that there's always people who would think it was cool to own one - until the novelty wears off and reality of care kicks in.

My leopard was found in a field and the fact no one claimed him when he was advertised as found makes me (and my vet) think he was dumped too. Thank goodness my colleague found him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree.
I don't think there would be a market for them to sell on such large torts in the UK.
Having said that there's always people who would think it was cool to own one - until the novelty wears off and reality of care kicks in.

My leopard was found in a field and the fact no one claimed him when he was advertised as found makes me (and my vet) think he was dumped too. Thank goodness my colleague found him.
Sadly with your leopard, they are easy to find homes for. Selling them, they go fast, in the US at least. Just lazy no good owners to let any "domesticated" animal go but to do it to one that has no chance of surviving is just plain monster not human.
I agree, yours and these poor Aldabras were likely let go to survive/die.