Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom @Alex and the Redfoot

Couple of more stupid questions.

1. Is this normal? Checking on Sandy I found her under basking light. Head/neck completely stretched out on ground with eyes shut. Reminded me of a dragon. Hated to do it but I had to pick her up to see if she was okay.

I think she was okay. Placed her on food tray and she stated to eat, later back under basking light.

2. Sandy digs completely under substrate for about 12 hours a days. She pops back up by 7am when it starts to heat up and lights are on. Walks back and forth at least 4 times to eat for the other 12 hours.

One time Sandy dug in a way I thought she would get stuck. It was in a area where basking rock and wall ran into each other. Backing rock is sitting on floor so Sandy can not dig under rock. Should I just leave Sandy to do what she wants? Usually by the time I check she is already buried. This time I caught her while still digging. Her back feet was way off the ground so I had to pick her out of the hole. Could not help myself. Should I just leave her alone?
There is no set rule for this sort of thing. Its a judgement call.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Couple of more stupid questions.

1. Is this normal? Checking on Sandy I found her under basking light. Head/neck completely stretched out on ground with eyes shut. Reminded me of a dragon. Hated to do it but I had to pick her up to see if she was okay.

I think she was okay. Placed her on food tray and she stated to eat, later back under basking light.

2. Sandy digs completely under substrate for about 12 hours a days. She pops back up by 7am when it starts to heat up and lights are on. Walks back and forth at least 4 times to eat for the other 12 hours.

One time Sandy dug in a way I thought she would get stuck. It was in a area where basking rock and wall ran into each other. Backing rock is sitting on floor so Sandy can not dig under rock. Should I just leave Sandy to do what she wants? Usually by the time I check she is already buried. This time I caught her while still digging. Her back feet was way off the ground so I had to pick her out of the hole. Could not help myself. Should I just leave her alone?
1. Such basking behaviour is common. Nothing to worry about. This way she maximizes heat and UV intake and she feels safe enough.
2. Sleeping 12 hours a day or staying burrowed is a part of normal behaviour.

Tom is right that there is no general rule when to help or move your tortoise. If it is stuck in potentialy dangerous situation (e.g. head in a water dish or right under the basking lamp) - I would help. Enclosures set up by Tom's guides are very safe but rarely such accidents happen.

David Steere

Rhode Island
441266528_432769272788091_5875365695311060750_n.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My daughter Angela gave me one of her old cell phones so starting to get use to taking pictures and videos. My first attempt.
I'm so glad to see that you are enjoying your tortoise and that everything is going well. Mission accomplished!!!

David Steere

Rhode Island

Sorry for the questions but anything new and out of the ordinary I feel the need to ask.

I was watching Sandy and while eating made what I describe two "snorts/sneezes" in quick succession. Was eating leaf's and wet Mazrui at the time. She continued eating and than walked back to the basking area.

Any concerns? Do Tortoises make any noises normally?

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Questions are always welcome!
If that happened only once - I would not worry. Likely it was the food clogged the nostrils or stuck on upper mouth.
Russian tortoises normally don't make any sounds. But some other species do (redfoots occasionaly "cluck", for example).

_The_Beast_

Canada
My Russian hatchling did this once when they got wet mazuri all over their face ... including nostrils and a mushy unicorn horn on their forehead 😂 I double checked the temps (they were fine, nice and toasty) and haven't seen it happen since. If it keeps recurring when not eating or there are bubbles coming out of their nostrils, then it's a cause for concern (potential respiratory infection).

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Questions are always welcome!
If that happened only once - I would not worry. Likely it was the food clogged the nostrils or stuck on upper mouth.
Russian tortoises normally don't make any sounds. But some other species do (redfoots occasionaly "cluck", for example).
Yeah, almost all noises Russians make are made by the tortoise inhaling or exhaling in a specific way. He probably just had something stuck in his mouth or nose. I haven't heard mine sneeze, but the first few days he was with me he had this log in his enclosure that he would climb against and make a few mating squeaks, usually in the mornings. This is also caused just by his breathing in the mating position. I since took the log out just in case...

David Steere

Rhode Island
Figured I would take a picture of what food was in the plate in the morning and what was left when I clean up at night.

Did not realize but looks like Sandy eats a lot during the day.

Seen Sandy now in every part of the enclosure. Although the food plate and the basking light is Sandy's favorite spots.

Food plate and basking light is about three feet away so Sandy must be walking a lot during the day.

So happy I found this forum and listened to everyone! I feel I got a really good handle on making Sandy have a good life. THANK YOU!

Morning:
Before.png
Evening:
after.png