Russian Tortoise Enclosure Help

Ben Page

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hello all, this is my first post here. I am very interested in getting a Russian tortoise and I want to get everything perfect before I bring him home. I will be using a 6' x 3' x 1' bookcase that I will lay down to create the cage (I am looking for a 6' x 4' but have not had much luck yet). I am planning on using a combination of organic potting soil (no additives) and coco coir. I will have all of the correct lights, hides and dishes. My biggest question is that I would like to plant the table with live plants that can be the primary food for my tortoise. I am looking at a seed mix which contains
  • Crimson Clover
  • White New Zealand Clover
  • Red Clover
  • Plantain
  • Turf Fescue
  • Orchard Grass
  • Fescue, Creeping Red
  • Chia
  • Chicory
  • Turnip Greens
  • Timothy grass
  • Kentucky Bluegrass
I will also add in dandelion, hens and chicks and Heartleaf Iceplant. All of these will be planted in removable containers and I will have the substrate level with the containers. Is it possible to plant the table and supply all the nutrition that the tortoise needs? I have zero problem supplementing with additional greens but I would like to provide all he needs via grazing. I would appreciate any help you can give.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I recommend covering the enclosure to keep in heat and humidity. Line the bookcase with a pool liner or shower curtain. I would grow the plants in containers and once they are established well then put them in the enclosure and trade them out as they get eaten. Russians eat like crazy :) and it won't take long for your tortoise to completely eat all the plants you put in there. They like weeds but they don't eat grass.
Are you getting an adult or a hatchling?

Ben Page

Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for responding. I am lining the bottom portion of the bookcase with a fish safe pool liner. The tortoise I am looking to purchase is approximately 5 years old.

BILBO-03

That will be a nice big enclosure! Make sure to share pictures once your done:)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Putting plants in is great. However you will not be able to pant enough in that size to sustain him. They eat a lot, and tromple the rest. Stuff to graze though is very beneficial. An outside enclosure is way easier to plant grazing stuff.

Ben Page

Phoenix, AZ
Putting plants in is great. However you will not be able to pant enough in that size to sustain him. They eat a lot, and tromple the rest. Stuff to graze though is very beneficial. An outside enclosure is way easier to plant grazing stuff.

That is the information I was looking for. Should I worry that by doing this it will be difficult to monitor his feeding amounts because I will not know how much he is getting from the grazing?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Russians are very active and great climbers and escape artists - especially in corners -so factor in your depth of substrate and maybe raise the height of the walls and/or cap them. The bigger the tort the bigger the enclosure needed.
I agree with leigti and your idea - trays of weeds sunk into substrate that you can swap in when demolished is the easiest way to keep up with them in indoor enclosures, then plant up the outdoor enclosure for warmer weather.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe plants.
The Enclosures section has some great ideas for maintaining temps and humidity and the Beginners Mistakes (link below) will help you avoid problems experienced by others.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That is the information I was looking for. Should I worry that by doing this it will be difficult to monitor his feeding amounts because I will not know how much he is getting from the grazing?
When I first had my tort I was told to think of their shell as an upturned bowl and give enough food to fill that. Then if they eat all that add more - let the tortoise be your guide.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
When I first had my tort I was told to think of their shell as an upturned bowl and give enough food to fill that. Then if they eat all that add more - let the tortoise be your guide.
Mine eats twice as mutch, sometimes more. And there are other times when he'll just pick out his favourites and have a couple of bites of those. Here's a picture of his usual meal.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483730133.694716.jpg off course I give him a lot of variety(30+ plants) and supliment with mazuri and ground up eggshells.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is more difficult to know how much they are eating. I have a gram scale, and weigh my little ones weekly to make sure they are consistently gaining weight. Grazing is very good for them, so I don't want to discourage you from providing opportunities to do so.

Ben Page

Phoenix, AZ
I bought my enclosure today. I was at Goodwill and they had a solid wood entertainment center 6' x 4' x 2' high. I am going to cut some plywood to further support the base and modify the interior. My next step is waterproofing the interior. I am researching the proper lighting now and will hopefully have it all set up by the weekend. Pictures will come shortly.

Ben Page

Phoenix, AZ
Here's the progress so far. I'm adding a couple inches of coconut coir and blending with the organic top soil. Lights will be installed today.
128e0b59cf6a0b4241d5e962405d7d61.jpg

e84f06821d84af10c4c2ff0a02ad3afb.jpg

IngaZ

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I love your enclosure. My tortoise, who I've had for over 12 years, seems restless and unhappy in his enclosure. I have been using a large kiddie pool, but I don't think he's happy in it. What did you use for the waterproofing, that would be non-toxic?