Seeking Hideout Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinGillam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Bend, Indiana
My Russian tortoise has a huge box for a hideout, it's about 12" deep and 9" across. He sleeps in it during the night, but hardly ever goes in it during the day. It takes up a huge space in his terrarium, though.

I just recently made him a hideout using a Blue Bunny plastic icecream container. He likes it a lot right now, it's in his favorite spot. But it's kind of small for him in my opinion and he isn't fully enclosed in it.

Should I take out the big box to give him more roaming space? or should I leave it for him to sleep in? is it better for him to be fully enclosed?

I was thinking of taking out the big box and moving the basking area over where the box was. Is this a better move?

Here are pics of the two hideouts;
icecream container: P1110799.JPG
Big Box: P1110800.JPG
Whole terrarium: P1110801.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this just for night time. Because you have an outdoor enclosure for him too? If not, can you build him an outdoor enclosure for day time and only bring him in at night. Otherwise, if he only has the inside enclosure, I would try to get him a bigger one. Add more plants and natural hiding spots. Then the wood hide would probably be fine. He would have his favorite hide and room to roam.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Taking out the big box would give him more room. Maybe take it out and put in a flower pot hide so he has a choice? My Hermanns all line up in their flower pots at bedtime, when they're indoors. They like the pots to be as small as they can fit into. It's about psychological security, not real security.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I agree with Edna, the cozier the better. Don't be afraid to make a little tortoise shanty town with boxes and plants (real or fake)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They like to feel secure in their hides, so bigger is not always better.

RobinGillam

5 Year Member
South Bend, Indiana
Okay, thankyou all :] I removed the big box and he has been roaming all over the new available space, I think he likes it. :] I plan to build him an outdoor enclosure but right now my budget really wont allow it. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.