Sealed chamber for all!!!!

timus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Shore of Maryland
I was reading and commenting on a thread about sealed chambers this morning and I thought I would share my not attractive but super great setup for sealing up my hatchling star and greek tortoises. I have a mvb on one end and have a che hooked up to a herpstat to never let the temps go under 80 degrees. During the day the basking spot is 97 with the cool end about 81-82 with humidity at 50% at the basking site and 85% at the high on the coolstyle Since moving everyone into these I have noticed a lot more activity and better appetite. There was so much conflicting info on line and even the breeder I got my star from did not recommend this style of enclosure. My final decision was made after I found a couple fleid studies of stars in the wild. I read a couple of published studies that said that the stars where never more active than in times of hot heavy rains. Especially the monsoons. I can't recall who published them but if your Google fu is strong they are there lol. Just wanted to share some of my early trial and errors with keeping my first star. I have also as I said moved my young Greeks into one as well. If you are on the fence, sealed chamber/open top style I'd highly recommend the sealed chamber if done properly. If it is wet its gotta be hot!!!!

IMG_20150629_173925246.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's great! Easy and effective.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many of us have used the same thing, except usually a clear one so we can watch them. But, whatever works. By the way, do they both have their own enclosure? Not good mixing species.

timus

5 Year Member
Yeah the Greeks have their own bin. I guess I could've used a clear one and just put tape around the bottom half.

Prairie Mom

I was reading and commenting on a thread about sealed chambers this morning and I thought I would share my not attractive but super great setup for sealing up my hatchling star and greek tortoises. I have a mvb on one end and have a che hooked up to a herpstat to never let the temps go under 80 degrees. During the day the basking spot is 97 with the cool end about 81-82 with humidity at 50% at the basking site and 85% at the high on the coolstyle Since moving everyone into these I have noticed a lot more activity and better appetite. There was so much conflicting info on line and even the breeder I got my star from did not recommend this style of enclosure. My final decision was made after I found a couple fleid studies of stars in the wild. I read a couple of published studies that said that the stars where never more active than in times of hot heavy rains. Especially the monsoons. I can't recall who published them but if your Google fu is strong they are there lol. Just wanted to share some of my early trial and errors with keeping my first star. I have also as I said moved my young Greeks into one as well. If you are on the fence, sealed chamber/open top style I'd highly recommend the sealed chamber if done properly. If it is wet its gotta be hot!!!!

View attachment 136875

Nice:) I used a similar set up in the beginning as well and recommend it to anyone who is unable or intimidated to build a chamber.

Please allow me to suggest placing aluminum around the cut-out hole in the plastic lid that the lamp is lowered into. You don't want the lamp to accidentally touch the exposed plastic and melt it. I also covered the entire lamp area over the hole in order to trap in the heat and humidity. It worked really well for me.

timus

5 Year Member
Nice:) I used a similar set up in the beginning as well and recommend it to anyone who is unable or intimidated to build a chamber.

Please allow me to suggest placing aluminum around the cut-out hole in the plastic lid that the lamp is lowered into. You don't want the lamp to accidentally touch the exposed plastic and melt it. I also covered the entire lamp area over the hole in order to trap in the heat and humidity. It worked really well for me.
Thanks!!! I'll get foil around them edges. I was right there with the foil and never thought to do that even though the thought crossed my mind of the possibility of it melting the edge lol. Do you have any links to how to build a chamber?

ShellyII

very nice, you can buy aluminum tape at Lowe's/Home Depot type store, its really easy to use and would cover the edge of that circle well and wouldn't fall off like foil might. :)

timus

5 Year Member
very nice, you can buy aluminum tape at Lowe's/Home Depot type store, its really easy to use and would cover the edge of that circle well and wouldn't fall off like foil might. :)
I breed leopard geckos and keep a big roll of foil tape because I use it in my racks. Thanks for the idea because I sure didn't think to do that!!!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I got one like yours also but with more clear/see through kind of tub. Work very well.