Seal noisemaker

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex
My Sulcata tortoise is making a strange sound like a seal but eating ok no runny nose can someone tell me what is wrong with him

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My Sulcata tortoise is making a strange sound like a seal but eating ok no runny nose can someone tell me what is wrong with him
You are asked to provide more information on the tortoise and it's setup and conditions, and please post pictures which will help us with our ideas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is either a breeding noise or a sign of a RI. Is the tortoise mounting anything while making that noise? If not, then it could be an oncoming RI. What are your temperatures? Over night low temp?

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
Hi thanks for reply the temperature is 75 c at Night Humidity 65 doesn’t do it all the time please can you tell me what to ri is please he’s had a bit of Diarrhoea lately

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi thanks for reply the temperature is 75 c at Night Humidity 65 doesn’t do it all the time please can you tell me what to ri is please he’s had a bit of Diarrhoea lately
You said 75 c, but I'm going to guess you mean 75F since the tortoise is still alive.

This is too cold at night. Under normal circumstances, it should not drop below 80F at tortoise level. If this guy is living on the floor of a basement or something like that, you need to check the floor temperature. If it is 80 degrees at head height, it could be 10-15 degrees cooler on the floor.

Since your guy has been too cold for a while, and sounds like he has an oncoming RI, best to bump night temp up to 86F (30C) for a few weeks. Daytime high should climb even higher, with a basking area of 37C directly under the bulb(s).

Where sulcatas come from they live in the ground for 95% of their lives. The ground temps there are 80-85 all year. Daytime highs are near 100F every day. They can warm themselves above 80 in the morning at the mouth of their burrow and then retreat underground from the hot sun for the rest of the day.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
That is either a breeding noise or a sign of a RI. Is the tortoise mounting anything while making that noise? If not, then it could be an oncoming RI. What are your temperatures? Over night low temp?
You said 75 c, but I'm going to guess you mean 75F since the tortoise is still alive.

This is too cold at night. Under normal circumstances, it should not drop below 80F at tortoise level. If this guy is living on the floor of a basement or something like that, you need to check the floor temperature. If it is 80 degrees at head height, it could be 10-15 degrees cooler on the floor.

Since your guy has been too cold for a while, and sounds like he has an oncoming RI, best to bump night temp up to 86F (30C) for a few weeks. Daytime high should climb even higher, with a basking area of 37C directly under the bulb(s).

Where sulcatas come from they live in the ground for 95% of their lives. The ground temps there are 80-85 all year. Daytime highs are near 100F every day. They can warm themselves above 80 in the morning at the mouth of their burrow and then retreat underground from the hot sun for the rest of the day.
Thanks I have just Turned the heating up so hopefully be okay Any more problems I’ll give you a email