Russian tortoise and??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
I currently have a Russian tortoise. He is a young adult I'm guessing and right now I have him in an open aquarium. I am planning in building a turtle table of some sort in the near future. I want to add another tortoise to the inclosure when I get the table finished. What are some tort species that I could add (red-foot, etc) that would have similar climate conditions? Has anyone ever mixed species together and have any helpful suggestions? Whether they will get along is a big question, might separate sides of the table if needed be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Species should never be mixed. There are several things about russians that make them one of the worst to try and mix. They are very aggressive generally. And most of them are wild caught and so full of all sorts of novel parasites and "critters". Other species from other parts of the world are not equipped to deal with these pathogens, even though your russian might be perfectly healthy carrying them around. Lastly, tortoises are solitary animals by nature. Even mixing members of the same species must be done carefully, with a lot of fore thought, planning and the right enclosures. And don't forget quarantine.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians while great tortoises (I have 3 myself) they can be very aggressive. I would strongly recommend not keeping more than one tortoise in an indoor enclosure. Remember he does not want or need another tortoise to make his life happy, odds are he will be more happy by himself. My 2 cents

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The first warning sign is 'he'. Male testudo do not share nicely and get worse as they get older.

They are solitary in the wild and in captivity are best kept on their own as male hormones lead to dominance disputes with other males and harrassment with females that leads to decline. Even the girls can be bad at sharing.

Your tort will welcome a table, but not with company. If you get another tort, same or different species, keep them apart.

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
Thank you for your advice, that's basically what I was thinking in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.