HELP!! Injured painted turtle or red eared turtle (not sure) with cracked shell

Turtlegirl123

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I found a turtle on the side of the highway with a cracked shell. The front of his shell is fully cracked and he was bleeding a lot. This was a few hours ago and he is still alive thankfully. I am going to a rehabilitation center in the morning. I’m in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Does anyone recommend any centers or have any care advice for the time being?

Attachments

• IMG_8036.jpeg
    IMG_8036.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8034.jpeg
    IMG_8034.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I found a turtle on the side of the highway with a cracked shell. The front of his shell is fully cracked and he was bleeding a lot. This was a few hours ago and he is still alive thankfully. I am going to a rehabilitation center in the morning. I’m in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Does anyone recommend any centers or have any care advice for the time being?
Omg the poor thing!! I’ve never dealt with anything like this personally so can’t advise but wanted to say you’re amazing for picking them up!!
I’m sure someone will answer you soon on how to make them more comfortable whilst in your care, hopefully the rehab will give you updates on this guy, be nice to see how they get on

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@wellington....we have a moderator who lives in that area, she's good....she'll know where to take it...how are you keeping it now? I'm torn between trying to give him a drink some how, and soaking him...do you have him under a hot light? Do that now...it looks like he might be a midland Painted, I see red on that leg....he really needs to be hydrated...I'd put him in a hospital tank about 85 degrees...put a water dish in the ground even with the dirt...he might just take a drink on his own...he needs to have his whole head under to drink...how is he now?

Turtlegirl123

Illinois
@wellington....we have a moderator who lives in that area, she's good....she'll know where to take it...how are you keeping it now? I'm torn between trying to give him a drink some how, and soaking him...do you have him under a hot light? Do that now...it looks like he might be a midland Painted, I see red on that leg....he really needs to be hydrated...I'd put him in a hospital tank about 85 degrees...put a water dish in the ground even with the dirt...he might just take a drink on his own...he needs to have his whole head under to drink...how is he now?
I just gave him to KANE Rehab in St. Charles, Illinois. They told me he may have a broken spine. But he’s been alive for hours so he’s a fighter. I’m hoping they will still try to help him regardless of the severity. But please show this post to the moderator because I’d love to hear their opinion and if the rehab center I took the turtle to is a good one

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just gave him to KANE Rehab in St. Charles, Illinois. They told me he may have a broken spine. But he’s been alive for hours so he’s a fighter. I’m hoping they will still try to help him regardless of the severity. But please show this post to the moderator because I’d love to hear their opinion and if the rehab center I took the turtle to is a good one
I don't know anything about that place. I'm in Chicago, so not so close to St. Charles
However,they probably rehab a lot of turtles in that location. I'm sure if they can help him they will. If the worse happens, and they have to euthanize, it will be done properly.
You did the right thing.

Turtlegirl123

Illinois
I don't know anything about that place. I'm in Chicago, so not so close to St. Charles
However,they probably rehab a lot of turtles in that location. I'm sure if they can help him they will. If the worse happens, and they have to euthanize, it will be done properly.
You did the right thing.
Okay, thanks so much!

Reactions: Ink

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Glad to hear he’s at the rehab now! Like wellington said, if he has to be put to sleep, at least he didn’t meet his end on the road after days of suffering, you absolutely did the right thing, well done❤️ hopefully he’ll recover!