Russian tortoise always sleeping.

Taco & Cookie

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
I have 2 baby Russian tortoises. When I got them, they were doing just fine. They were always active and I had the best time with them. I have a zoo med uvb and heat lamp combo and I have Repti bark as my substrate. They have been sleeping since forever and there always hiding in there hide. When it’s sunny outside I wake them up and let them have some fresh air. They can even sleep for a full month if I let them but there only a year old. I don’t know what to do and I miss seeing them come out of there hide and come to bask and eat and drink. I want to know if this behaviour is normal and I want to know what I can do to get them more active. And I know it’s getting to the month where tortoises start to hibernate but there only a year old like I said.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even at a year old they will still hibernate. If you don't want them too, then make sure the enclosures are brightly lit, and on for 12-14 hours a day. The day temps are 75-80 with a basking spot of 95-100 and night temps high 60s-70.
They each need their own enclosure, tortoises should not be in pairs, specially russians.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Like wellington said and I pick my guy up every day or so and place him a little bit away from his food. If he wants to go back to his hidey place I let him. But he still has to walk there. It is normal. Welcome to the forum ?

Taco & Cookie

Delaware
Even at a year old they will still hibernate. If you don't want them too, then make sure the enclosures are brightly lit, and on for 12-14 hours a day. The day temps are 75-80 with a basking spot of 95-100 and night temps high 60s-70.
They each need their own enclosure, tortoises should not be in pairs, specially russians.
Hello!
Well, the light I have is I think, 100 watt but I’m not 100% sure. I have this thermometer and when I turn on the heat lamp its 80. Yet they still don’t seem to come out. If I need to get there basking and temp higher than do I need to get a different lamp? And if I keep the lamp on for the whole day, they won’t come out and at that point, the light will just be on for no reason.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, get basking up. They need to bask at correct temps in order to digest their food properly.
Also try this. Get them up and give them a warm water soak. Then put them in front of their food. Put the food as far away from their hides as possible but not under the basking light.

Taco & Cookie

Delaware
Yes, get basking up. They need to bask at correct temps in order to digest their food properly.
Also try this. Get them up and give them a warm water soak. Then put them in front of their food. Put the food as far away from their hides as possible but not under the basking light.
Okay thank you! I’ll definitely try that tomorrow. Hopefully something changes. If not, than I think there better off hibernating. And I’ll try my best to find good lamps that give of lots of heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay thank you! I’ll definitely try that tomorrow. Hopefully something changes. If not, than I think there better off hibernating. And I’ll try my best to find good lamps that give of lots of heat.
Not lots of heat. The heat needs to be at certain temps. More light, so its brighter like the sunny days of summer but not so bright that you are hurting their eyes. Remember, our lights are a lot closer to them then the sun.

Taco & Cookie

Delaware
Not lots of heat. The heat needs to be at certain temps. More light, so its brighter like the sunny days of summer but not so bright that you are hurting their eyes. Remember, our lights are a lot closer to them then the sun.
Oh okay. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much!

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
Hello!
Well, the light I have is I think, 100 watt but I’m not 100% sure. I have this thermometer and when I turn on the heat lamp its 80. Yet they still don’t seem to come out. If I need to get there basking and temp higher than do I need to get a different lamp? And if I keep the lamp on for the whole day, they won’t come out and at that point, the light will just be on for no reason.
Hello! I'm relatively new to tortoise keeping and have a rehomed 4-5yo Russian. I feel your pain! I'm in central Ohio and my Miss Piggy started winding down in late August when in her outdoor habitat.....even with the sun blazing. I'm trying to get through this brumation behavior as well and have upped temps, added additional lighting, soaking every other day and increased length of day (indoors). She now wakes up when lights go on. basks and roams around for an hour or so, then snoozes the rest of the day. I was advised to pester her and get her up and walking. Must be helping because she had a few bites of food today, been a month refusing food. So, hang in there! Read as much as you can about brumation and how tortoises bodies keep them alive during this time. Most of all....get your advice from TFO members! Good Luck, prayers!

Taco & Cookie

Delaware
Hello! I'm relatively new to tortoise keeping and have a rehomed 4-5yo Russian. I feel your pain! I'm in central Ohio and my Miss Piggy started winding down in late August when in her outdoor habitat.....even with the sun blazing. I'm trying to get through this brumation behavior as well and have upped temps, added additional lighting, soaking every other day and increased length of day (indoors). She now wakes up when lights go on. basks and roams around for an hour or so, then snoozes the rest of the day. I was advised to pester her and get her up and walking. Must be helping because she had a few bites of food today, been a month refusing food. So, hang in there! Read as much as you can about brumation and how tortoises bodies keep them alive during this time. Most of all....get your advice from TFO members! Good Luck, prayers!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I’m watching as many brumation and hibernating tortoise videos. For now, I’m not all that worried since I can’t really force them to stop sleeping. And I hope your tortoise does well. By the way, what did you mean by to pester, give her up and walking? I’m sorry I’m a little confused on that part.

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
My Miss Piggy is not living up to her name. Hasn't ate a good meal in a month! Continues to sleep a lot during the day, actually kind of snoozing and can be easily awakened. She's in her warm soak right now. She does dunk her head under The water but I can't actually see whether she's drinking or not. Her weight is holding at around a pound....she's 4-5 yrs old....seems to be an acceptable weight. Been getting her up and she does stroll around her enclosure for about 45 min, appears to be checking things out. Then goes back to her hide. Brumation is nerve wracking for new tort keepers!

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I’m watching as many brumation and hibernating tortoise videos. For now, I’m not all that worried since I can’t really force them to stop sleeping. And I hope your tortoise does well. By the way, what did you mean by to pester, give her up and walking? I’m sorry I’m a little confused on that part.
A forum member told me to wake my tort up a couple of times during the day to get her to walk around her enclosure. I'm keeping her as warm as possible without being hot. Trying to trick her into believing its summer. She seems to like the hide thats near the basking light...not right under it tho, its about 85 degrees. She just hangs out there, awake, then snoozes on and off. Just hoping the soaks are giving her the water she needs to get thru this. Other forum members say this behavior could last into December! Lordy!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
There are steps for hibernating including empty their tummies by not providing food etc... at 1 year they need to be healthy and hibernated in correct environment not just in the enclosure . Please read the care sheet and check your environment and settings to provide them the best chance to grow and thrive. They do tend to sleep a long time can be from 4pm to 8am ish. Regular soaking in shallow warm water in a high sided bowl will help them hydrate and provide nice interaction time for you.