Russian Tort

ColinS

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I looked down it's throats when it's mouth was open an didn't see any immediate blockage! I'm wondering if it could be a hair like material what's in the coco soil mix. Not sure what they are

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm confused. What do you mean your basking light rarely goes off? That should be what you have set on a timer coming on in the morning and going out at night. What kind of bulb are you calling your basking bulb?

There could be a fibre from the cococoir- if you've managed to get a good meal into the tortoise, I would imagine the fibre would be dislodged though.

ColinS

Manchester
It's still active. The kids are home and have been keeping an eye and have been tempting it with fresh leafy veg. Very thin sliced cucumber and some broccoli. Not sure if it's eaten yet tho

ColinS

Manchester
The basking bulb is on a thermostat set to 35. So it rarely turns off from the thermostat. But he the uv and the basking bulb/ heat lamp are both on the timer so come on at 6 and turn off at 8pm

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Have you read this about caring for babies? It tells you everything you need to know
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

You should have a Ceramic Heat Emitter (this does go on a thermostat unlike the basking lamp) which is on 24/7 and ensures that temperatures don't drop below the 27C/80F a baby needs.

A CHE looks like this (some are black) and gives background heat but no light. It can be on in the day as the thermostat ensures it's only actually on when needed
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487680536.298867.jpg

ColinS

Manchester
Well not sure if the age but they are couple inches but I reckon they're older than what the supplier said!! They are in a 3x1.5 foot viv but will soon have an outdoor enclosure once the weather warms up. I have a 100watt red heat bulb which is on a thermostat with the sensor a 6 inches away from the basking spot so the whole tank doesn't over heat. Which it very rarely does so the basking spot is only almost constantly for 14 hours. Does this sound ok upto now?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tank is small for 1 tortoise, let alone 2. It's very difficult to have any kind of heat gradient in a tank that small. Please see the link I supplied.

Red heat bulb:
They colour tank decor red. Torts love red food even though it's not good for them and, because they're not very bright, we frequently see torts on TFO eating substrate coloured red by a heat bulb. Ingested substrate can cause intestinal blockages... we may be onto something here. When did you last see a poop from this tort?

Your torts need complete darkness at night. No red bulb. Use a CHE on a thermostat instead which will last much longer in any case.

This is in addition to the basking/UVB bulb. You do have UVB?

These torts need to be thoroughly soaked for at least 30 minutes twice a day in warm water to encourage them to pass whatever is in their gut. If the sick tort isn't pooping then a trip to the vet for an x ray is in order.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also we cannot rule out bullying even with torts this small. Russians are very territorial and don't do well as pairs. With one being sick it would sensible to set them up in separate enclosures

ColinS

Manchester
Yeah agreed. Not sure if it's pooed today. It's has been soaked for half hour this morning tho. Not sure if it's eaten. And the whole tank goes off at 8pm. So no light or heater at night

ColinS

Manchester
I will soak them again tonight and let you guys know the temps etc... and the condition of the tort etc...

ColinS

Manchester
Should I change the red bulb anyway? I have a daytime reptiglo heat bulb

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am trying to understand:

You currently have a red heat bulb and a basking/UVB on a thermostat by day and nothing by night.

You need:
Basking/UVB by day (an MVB OR a basking bulb and tube UVB)

A CHE on a thermostat running 24/7. This is to maintain the ambient temperature so the thermostat probe should be well away from the basking lamp.

Last edited:

ColinS

Manchester
I have a strip uv light/bulb. Bran new. 4 days ago it replaced the old1. This come on at 6am. Goes off at 8pm.
I then have a red heat bulb at one end of tank which is set at 35 With the sensor 6 inches towards the cooler end so it don't over heat the whole tank. The cooler side is 20/21 I haven't seen it drop below this. This heat bulb comes on at 6 am. Goes off at 8 pm. So the whole tank turns off at 8pm

ColinS

Manchester
But the night temps have been no lower than 16. And I have read RT need a small drop in temp at night.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have a strip uv light/bulb. Bran new. 4 days ago it replaced the old1. This come on at 6am. Goes off at 8pm.
So far so good

I then have a red heat bulb at one end of tank which is set at 35 With the sensor 6 inches towards the cooler end so it don't over heat the whole tank.
This is no good at all. Your torts cannot bask under a red lamp. Get a reflector basking lamp like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487685603.238627.jpg

This needs to hang vertically, be on continuously and be 35C directly underneath. 60W should be enough in a small tank. Use this with the timer.

Scrap the red bulb.

Get a CHE like this (it needs a Ceramic Lamp Holder as it melts plastic) and use that on a thermostat set to 27C 24/7
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487685786.109154.jpg

ColinS

Manchester
What exactly is the CHE for? Am I right in thinking it's for keeping the tank at a constant temp