Russian Tort

ColinS

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Just a quick question. I have a baby tort not sure of age! But anyway. It's eating ok and pooing etc... it seems to enjoy a daily soak where it does its business more often than not. I've recently put a cocoa soil substrate in its enclosure. And since this it keeps opening its mouth like its gaggin but with nothing comin up and like I said it's feeding fine and pooing etc... any ideas?

ColinS

Manchester
Sorry but I can't figure out how to do it. Let me see if I can sort it out

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you're on a PC, use the UPLOAD A FILE button next to the POST REPLY box.
This should allow access to the photos on your computer.

ColinS

Manchester
There's 2 Russians in there. And I already know and read the threads on here!! But there is no problems as of yet and they will be outdoors soon in a large enclosure. I have 2 feed bowls and water bowls and there's 3 or 4 hides too.

ColinS

Manchester
No not really. Like he tryna burp and he stretching his neck and head up. Gonna get a pic

ColinS

Manchester
He is defo wrentching. Like he needs to be sick!! But he is eatin drinking and pooing etc... doesn't seem to be poorly

ColinS

Manchester
The more I'm reading the more it sounds like impaction! It was on wood chips but that was over a month back when I switched to cocoa soil mix!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That doesn't look/sound like retching (very unusual for tortoises to do anyway), that looks like gasping for breath (a common symptom of a respiratory infection).

What are your high and low temperatures like?

ColinS

Manchester
The basking temp is 36 and there is a slate/flat rock under it And the cooler end is 20 I think it is ( I'm in work so can't double check ) and the lights and heater goes off at night but I think the temp was 16 The heat lamp is set on a sensor to turn off and on at 36. As of today it hasn't eaten. It's had a 30 minute soak in warm water. No discharge from its nose or mouth.

ColinS

Manchester
It doesn't seem to be gasping for breath. Quite the opposite. It's like it wants to be sick. It looks like it's heaving!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Are you saying that your tort does not have continuous access to basking heat in the day?

The basking lamp must be on for 12-14 hours continuously. You adjust the temperature underneath by raising or lowering the lamp and then leave it alone.

Basking is essential so a tort can digest food and be healthy and active. It must not be restricted.

If the enclosure as a whole is becoming too hot then your enclosure is too small or you need a lower wattage basking bulb.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It could be that something is stuck in its throat. But with 16C temperatures overnight, I wouldn't rule out an RI just yet. That's pretty cold for a hatchling.

Tortoises aren't built like mammals - the don't have a diaphragm so they can't really dry-heave. If there is some piece of wood caught in their, see if you can shine a flashlight in there and look next time the mouth is open.

ColinS

Manchester
Very rarely goes off the baskin light. So don't think that would be the prob. And the whole lights/heater come on at 6am and go off at 8pm and my house isn't cold it's always a comfy room temp! So I doubt the temp at night is a prob. I'm a beginner so I may be wrong that's why am on here!