Rose of Sharon seeds i

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If anyone wants Rose of Sharon seeds I will send them to you. All you need to do is send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I will send your envelope back to you with the seeds in it at
no cost. Can't guarantee the color of the blooms though. If you want some message me and I'll give you my address.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I have a lot of seedlings that I could send you. But I'll send you cuttings if you want. Is this the right time of year to start cuttings? I've never done that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure for starting them outside. I would start them inside for the winter.
Let me investigate on that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, the way I did it before was starting them out in water. That is one way that can work. That worked great, but at my old place. They were too big to move. The cuttings I did try to plant here, I left them to do their thing and their thing was to not make it.
Because it's fall, I will keep them inside all winter and by spring they should already have a good start to be planted. I keep 2 huge plumeria trees alive all winter on my back entry, so that's where I would put these too.
If you want to get one of those USPS envelopes that has a set price for whatever you put in it, I can zelle you the money or send a check or PayPal you the money, however you would like. I can send the money before or after you know the exact amount. Before I'd have to guesstimate the cost. Maybe wrap the cut end in wet paper towels and place in plastic bag, then the envelope.
Let me know.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Len B

10 Year Member!
Oh and I found where cuttings can be taken any time

In late fall or even winter, take hardwood cuttings that have been on the bush for at least one season. Cut stems that are between 4 and 10 inches (10-25 cm.) long and remove all but the top few leaves.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Rose Of Sharon Plant Cuttings – Tips On Taking Cuttings From Rose Of Sharon https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/rose-of-sharon/rose-of-sharon-plant-cuttings.htm
I will read it later. I've never done this before and want to make sure I'm doing it right. I'll get back to you.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Oh and I found where cuttings can be taken any time

In late fall or even winter, take hardwood cuttings that have been on the bush for at least one season. Cut stems that are between 4 and 10 inches (10-25 cm.) long and remove all but the top few leaves.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Rose Of Sharon Plant Cuttings – Tips On Taking Cuttings From Rose Of Sharon https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/rose-of-sharon/rose-of-sharon-plant-cuttings.htm
Send me your address so I can send you some cuttings and I will send some seedlings and seeds along with them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here's the thing. Rose of Sharon have a gazillion starters underneath them because of the seeds. My sister in law mixed the seeds up, threw them out and wound up with several colors instead of the one she had.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here's the thing. Rose of Sharon have a gazillion starters underneath them because of the seeds. My sister in law mixed the seeds up, threw them out and wound up with several colors instead of the one she had.
And? What's the problem with that?
I wish I could just throw seeds and get the tree. I can't even start with seeds, caring for them and get anything. Cuttings, I can.
The rose of Sharon I had at my old place never spread. I had three. They grew nicely, but never had any starters that I know of, cuz I had no plants/trees growing that I didn't plant myself.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And? What's the problem with that?
I wish I could just throw seeds and get the tree. I can't even start with seeds, caring for them and get anything. Cuttings, I can.
The rose of Sharon I had at my old place never spread. I had three. They grew nicely, but never had any starters that I know of, cuz I had no plants/trees growing that I didn't plant myself.
There's nothing wrong with throwing a bunch of seeds out and getting a bunch of colors and starters at all. Just keep a lawnmower handy or dig them up. The starts can take over. Maybe yours have been hybrids in the past. I had one but it didn't multiply like a real rose of Sharon. I'd be happy to send you some starts or seeds.😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There's nothing wrong with throwing a bunch of seeds out and getting a bunch of colors and starters at all. Just keep a lawnmower handy or dig them up. The starts can take over. Maybe yours have been hybrids in the past. I had one but it didn't multiply like a real rose of Sharon. I'd be happy to send you some starts or seeds.😊
I have no idea. They were cuttings from my hubs mother. One white, one purple and one pink. I wish I had gotten seedlings, I would have been able to bring those with me.
Thanks for the offer, but I am getting some from Len.