Rose of Sharon seedlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Here in New York, now is the time to gather the Rose of Sharon seeds that are all over the trees. I gather a load of then and sprinkle them into Pio's enclosure. In a matter of a week, because of the warm humid environment the start to sprout up. Pio and Izzy love them. If they miss some, the little saplings are allowed to grow bigger. Every now and then I sprinkle a few more. I have enough seeds to last all winter if I do it sparingly.
010-2.jpg

004-8.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry have you found Izzy? I hadn't seen anything on here about whether or not you had?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, they can eat the leaves and flowers. There are lots of breeders that grow them especially for this reason.

No Candy...I haven't found Izzy. I am devastated. We have daily searches here. I have so many pictures of her growing for the last two years. We are not done searching yet. My grandson, Tim, is coming home Sunday, and he said he is going on his hands and knees over every inch of property in and around all the Cyprus trees. I will keep updating.......Thanks for thinking of us.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Terry, don't you dare lose faith that you'll find Izzy.. Your the first one who gave me hope when I posted about Louise.not to say many didn't also give me hope but you were that first! and now look it. Months later, after I fine toothed that pen on my hands and knees, and every time I would go out there I would just look and look. Even the other day I swore I saw her in the driveway,(rock). And today I find her, IN The PEN>>> I posted somewhere else so excited. So you stay worried, girl but I am sure you'll get her back. And great idea about the Sharon seeds, where are they on the plant? Not to appear stupid, we have one and there are still loads of buds..
NA

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I just answered on your other post Nay...so happy for you.
The seeds start to come in the fall when the flowers die. You will seen them where the flowers used to be. I make a big bag of them and keep them all winter to put in the indoor viv.

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
What a great idea! I planted a Rose of Sharon last month, and it's got quite a few buds. I'd love to find seeds after the flowers bloom and plant them indoors under the plant grow lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.