Rose new RedFoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I got my new Redfoot Rose in today and she is a little deformed I think and has too soft of a shell for my liking other than that she is one of my favorites (Rose and Pipa are), I love all my tortoise some just have more spunk than others :)
Here are some pictures
Let me know what you think about the way her shell looks
IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

This is where Rose lives. I am quit proud of the enclosure, has substrate heat cable 100 watts on a Thermostat controller and a 100 watt CHE. I keep the very top layer of cypress mulch dry but underneath it is wet.

IMG_5495.jpg

The end :)
IMG_5488.jpg

O and she has two little split scutes on each side of her shell :D :tort:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
What a nice shell with the small extra scutes... Congrats on getting Rose...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know anything about Redfoots. Her shell looked pitted though, unless it was just dirty. I do know though that she is CUTE:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think you're addicted. :p You're getting quite the menagerie. Looks good.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I don't know anything about Redfoots. Her shell looked pitted though, unless it was just dirty. I do know though that she is CUTE:D

It is a little pitted, I can't decided whether its because its a little soft or because its just deformed a little...
I guess we will see in a week or so after some serious supplements :p

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Nice looking redfoot, congrats! I'm sure you'll get that shell to harden up now that it's in good hands!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just... try to not overdo the supplements, OK? There is a tendency in cases like this to really turn up the calcium or something, but that can have its own problems. Get the diet solid and well-balanced, then add just a LITTLE bit more calcium and a TINY bit more multivitamin once or twice a week. Try to EASE her back to a balanced diet.

What kinds of problems you may ask? One of the things we see when people turn up the calcium knob- often with the Vitamin D knob- is that they also turn 'down' the phosphorous knob- but healthy bones need phosphorous as well, otherwise the bone is overly dense and brittle. We sometimes act like phosphorous is the bad guy and aim for Ca: P's of 14:1 and so on, when we should be aiming for a more balanced 2:1 or even closer to 1:1 overall.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
She's a little split scute cutie! I'm sure you'll have her sorted in no time with a healthy diet and that awesome enclosure. The window turned out super cool.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Do you have a water dish for her? I love the Spider plants.

Yes I do :) I just put one in
It's the leaf looking dish by the green hide that she choose to never use
IMG_5510.jpg

Here idk if you can see her shell but she loves to hid in the spider plants and she likes to eat them
IMG_5513.jpg

ShadowRancher said:
She's a little split scute cutie! I'm sure you'll have her sorted in no time with a healthy diet and that awesome enclosure. The window turned out super cool.

Yes yes but I am having problems with creating doors out of them and making it so air isn't leaking out everywhere. I am going to have to screw one by twos into the plastic around where I cut the hole and then caulk around them and then I am going to have to silicone the plexiglass to one by twos and create a door and hinge that one because I cant screw through plexiglass without it cracking...I tried for two hours. Problem is that is like EIGHT one by twos haha and I need some short little screws.
I am going to paint them black too so they don't look like poo

terryo said:
Do you have a water dish for her? I love the Spider plants.

Me too , one I have more money I am going to go buy a bunch more and then some Pothos plants and some fake plants for the dollar store. I heard the dollar store has a lot.

jaizei said:
I think you're addicted. :p You're getting quite the menagerie. Looks good.

This is kinda sad but I had to google what "menagerie" meant haha
I am happy that Rose is almost certainly a female because of her split scutes. That means my new Leopard is almost certainly female too , kinda sad cause I named her Remy

Madkins007 said:
Just... try to not overdo the supplements, OK? There is a tendency in cases like this to really turn up the calcium or something, but that can have its own problems. Get the diet solid and well-balanced, then add just a LITTLE bit more calcium and a TINY bit more multivitamin once or twice a week. Try to EASE her back to a balanced diet.

What kinds of problems you may ask? One of the things we see when people turn up the calcium knob- often with the Vitamin D knob- is that they also turn 'down' the phosphorous knob- but healthy bones need phosphorous as well, otherwise the bone is overly dense and brittle. We sometimes act like phosphorous is the bad guy and aim for Ca: P's of 14:1 and so on, when we should be aiming for a more balanced 2:1 or even closer to 1:1 overall.

I use something called Repashy Superfood Supercal HyD and once I week I give Kristina's gel food stuff

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Last time I used plexiglas I was making a fish tank out of an old console tv and if I remember right lowes had a drill press that they put holes in it for me with...idk maybe yours doesn't do that. Sorry I can't trial and error with you yet, need to steal some of my dads power tool first.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Last time I used plexiglas I was making a fish tank out of an old console tv and if I remember right lowes had a drill press that they put holes in it for me with...idk maybe yours doesn't do that. Sorry I can't trial and error with you yet, need to steal some of my dads power tool first.

I wish plexiglass wasn't so expensive !! ughhghghghghh to cover just the holes I cut on the storage containers it cost 50 bucks. :(
And they probably do , do that at my lowes and I just didn't know it lol until now of course

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Yah... that is one of the many services Lowes offers... IF your buying your materials there. (I wouldn't try it with "carry in" items!)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mine (my Cherry Head) never used her hide either, so I took it out and just put a bunch of plants that hang over and she uses that as her hide. Holds the humidity better too.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Mine (my Cherry Head) never used her hide either, so I took it out and just put a bunch of plants that hang over and she uses that as her hide. Holds the humidity better too.

I am having problems with humidity with Rose. I have heat ropes and a CHE but no humidity..I think I have my heat ropes set on the wrong tempature, too hot. I need more pants and I need to move my heat ropes, Add some rocks for dainage maybe idk :/

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Besides real plants, I like to use fake plants. I only use the silk (or material) ones,mixed with the real ones, because when you wet them they stay wet for a while and hold the humidity in. I don't like the plastic ones as they dry fast. I also wet the inside of the "plant cave". I get long fiber moss, wet it with hot water and squeeze it out and fluff it up. I spray the plants (real and fake) every morning when they come out to eat...I spray them too.....until they drip. I don't wet the surface of the substrate....just the plants. I don't go crazy trying to maintain 80% humidity....except for hatchlings.
This is the "hide". Just some plants hanging over that she goes into. Jest my HO.
018-44.jpg

019-35.jpg

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I have googled how to make your own rain system and waterfall so that it what I am going to do for Rose and all my tortoises new enclosures actually.
I am going to line the whole back wall with plants and long fiber moss and have the rain system on a timer to rain on them every so often throughout the day and there will be a small waterfall in one corner next to the plants.
Plus I am going to run a tube from a humidifier into the enclosure that will be on the same timer the rain system is.
That will keep it very humid without the substrate having to be soaked

terryo said:
Besides real plants, I like to use fake plants. I only use the silk (or material) ones,mixed with the real ones, because when you wet them they stay wet for a while and hold the humidity in. I don't like the plastic ones as they dry fast.

I forgot to ask where do you get your fake plants ??? I need some and want some but I don't know where to get them

Status
Not open for further replies.