Rodney’s finally happy

Emmawilly

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
I’ve not posted on here for a while. We had a tricky winter, very wet and cold and Rodney stopped eating and pooping for nearly 3 months. Weekly soaks helped but I was very worried as he was so lethargic.
We’ve recently upgraded his hut and put in more heating (2 heat mats and a radiant heat panel). IMG_6910.jpegIMG_6904.jpegWe’ve moved the hut to a sunnier position. Now the weather has improved, he’s out every day, eating grass relentlessly, pooping non stop andIMG_6908.jpeg very very active. He has new growth lines too.

IMG_6906.jpegIMG_6369.jpeg1000015940.jpegIMG_6093.jpegIMG_6636.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6909.jpeg
    IMG_6909.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6911.jpeg
    IMG_6911.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6840.jpeg
    IMG_6840.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's looks great! Glad he's doing good
Now to keep him that way, do not let those dogs be near him with our 1000% supervisor and actually they should not have access to him at all
He also should not be allowed to roam your house floors. Way too many dangers for him and we have seen it before on here.

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to fix that vinyl strip door so the strips close off between them. You're letting in a lot of cold air because they don't seat on top of each other. Try cutting off the bottoms so they just barely skim the floor.

I love that little house. Glad to hear he's eating again.

Emmawilly

Plymouth
It's looks great! Glad he's doing good
Now to keep him that way, do not let those dogs be near him with our 1000% supervisor and actually they should not have access to him at all
He also should not be allowed to roam your house floors. Way too many dangers for him and we have seen it before on here.
He doesn’t come in the house, he’s too messy! He literally just came inside the kitchen doorstep, he was turfed out a minute after.

The dogs are safe with Rodney, they are not interested in him at all. They are spaniels. We also have a crow who can’t fly who lives in the garden (We care for him) and they don’t touch the crow either and will happily share the space with him and leave him completely alone. Plus we have rabbits who they aren’t interested in.

I’ve seen plenty of dog inflicted injuries on here to understand the concern though so, thank you.

Emmawilly

Plymouth
You need to fix that vinyl strip door so the strips close off between them. You're letting in a lot of cold air because they don't seat on top of each other. Try cutting off the bottoms so they just barely skim the floor.

I love that little house. Glad to hear he's eating again.
Yes you’re right, the butcher’s flaps on the inner sleeping hut need redoing and overlapping, a job for the weekend. The ones on the outer hut already overlap by 50% although it doesn’t look like that from the picture.