Risk of only feeding Mazuri

E-kamelife

Location (City and/or State)
Japan
People said Mazuri is a good food for tortosies. If we feed only Mazuri, what risk do you think about tortosies or people who keep tortosies? From my point of view, the cost of payment as food and the lack of feeding muscle activity should be considered. Because we dip Mazuri water normaly, tortoise need not to bite many times or grab food something for eat. Do you have any other evidence for Mazuri ingredient or other perspective concretely as negative point for eating only Mazuri? Generally speaking I understand the variety of food is important and tortoise eats the number of kinds of grass and weed in nature.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't use Mazuri...It uses a kind of a caramel to hold the ingredients together that is addicting to younger tortoises so 'some' tortoises get so they will only eat Mazuri. It is great as an added nutrition food, but not as an only food. Sort of like if you only ate broccoli. Tortoises are herbivores they NEED to eat grasses and weeds, if you can't do that you should not get a tortoise. Personally I have kept tortoises for 20 years, and I grow food for them, Rose of Sharon, grape leaves, dandelions, pasture grasses and the like. It's very important to grow close to what they eat in the wild...or don't keep them

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I understand @Maggie3fan position on this but, I do feed Mazuri as a staple food. I do offer other foods but offer Mazuri EVERYDAY. I have not run into the problem of them only eating that and nothing else, I have not had torts as long as she has. Mazuri has been fed to tortoises for over 20 years and if there was a "Red Flag" or bad reaction to being fed this I think we would of heard about it. I am a fan of Mazuri and feed it a lot and will continue to.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I stick to my personal opinion...if you can't replicate a diet close to the wild diet, you shouldn't get a tortoise...I have spent 20 years trying to feed Sulcata the way they actually eat...I probably should give it up...this is my own personal opinion and don't really care about the argument that will happen...and won't reply here again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I stick to my personal opinion...if you can't replicate a diet close to the wild diet, you shouldn't get a tortoise...I have spent 20 years trying to feed Sulcata the way they actually eat...I probably should give it up...this is my own personal opinion and don't really care about the argument that will happen...and won't reply here again
Everyone's opinion is welcome, and no argument was started, just another member's opinion, which is quite ok.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I always opt for the closest to natural diet you can do. My Russians right now have been eating lots of weeds like plantain, virginia pepperweed, florida pusley, sow thistle, cudweed, hawksbeard and others along with squash leaves, mulberry leaves, kale leaves and other garden greens. I think this really is the perfect diet and Mazuri isn't necessary or even that beneficial.

However, if you cannot get that variety I think Mazuri is a great addition. I just don't like how we really do not know the long term effects or the negative aspects. Yes, many people have used it for years without obvious problems, but I am curious if there are effects we do not see. Also, we already know it is addictive.

When I used to give my Russians mazuri often it was crazy how their beaks became overgrown very quickly. With the wild diet, they have never even come close to being overgrown. Also, the digestive system of tortoises is made to digest intact relatively large pieces of leaves and lots of ruffage. Mazuri does not replicate this and is a mash, which I am sure is not as good.

I really think it is just a personal preference to use it or not, or to use it often or not often. The things we do know is that it is not natural and addictive so that is enough for me to not feel like I need it. However, as I said with many people who can't replicate the diet like I can I think it is great and would provide nutrients that may be lacking.

Here are some pictures of the Russians

IMG_8929.jpgIMG_8886 (1).jpgIMG_9264.jpgIMG_9262.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8886 (1).jpg
    IMG_8886 (1).jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9705.jpg
    IMG_9705.jpg
    889.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feed mazuri mostly in winter. Along with grocery greens and whatever I have been able to dry from summer.
Most people, if anyone actually, can't only feed a natural diet. There's nothing wrong with grocery greens as long as it's not the only diet. There would be a lot of homeless or euthanized tortoises if it were required to only feed a natural diet to have one.
No one food should be the only diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How much of our garden items, weeds, flowers, leaves, etc are actual natural food items found in the wild anyway? Just because you grow it, doesn't make it natural part of the particular species diet.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
How much of our garden items, weeds, flowers, leaves, etc are actual natural food items found in the wild anyway? Just because you grow it, doesn't make it natural part of the particular species diet.
Just because it technically is not part of their wild diet does not mean it isn't a natural diet.

Also, we do not actually want to replicate their wild diet perfectly- we want to improve it through more nutritious greens than those that are found in their home range. In the wild, for many desert species for example the weeds they eat actually lack a lot of nutrition and that is one of the reasons they grow so slowly in the wild.

Tortoises eating garden greens and weeds found where we live is MUCH more natural than using processed foods like Mazuri where we do not even understand what half of the ingredients listed are. And, garden greens, weeds, and store bought greens is an improvement of their natural diet. They still will get the variety and the raw greens like in the wild, just better greens.

What you said about many people not being able to provide the ideal diet is true, and for that reason they should use mazuri. For most tortoise owners out there, they probably should use mazuri because I bet what they are feeding is not as varied and nutritious as it should be. But in my situation, and the situation of others out there who CAN provide a varied, natural diet, I do not think we should use it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just because it technically is not part of their wild diet does not mean it isn't a natural diet.

Also, we do not actually want to replicate their wild diet perfectly- we want to improve it through more nutritious greens than those that are found in their home range. In the wild, for many desert species for example the weeds they eat actually lack a lot of nutrition and that is one of the reasons they grow so slowly in the wild.

Tortoises eating garden greens and weeds found where we live is MUCH more natural than using processed foods like Mazuri where we do not even understand what half of the ingredients listed are. And, garden greens, weeds, and store bought greens is an improvement of their natural diet. They still will get the variety and the raw greens like in the wild, just better greens.

What you said about many people not being able to provide the ideal diet is true, and for that reason they should use mazuri. For most tortoise owners out there, they probably should use mazuri because I bet what they are feeding is not as varied and nutritious as it should be. But in my situation, and the situation of others out there who CAN provide a varied, natural diet, I do not think we should use it.
I disagree.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mazuri is not required. Your tortoise can spend it's entire life and never eat a single pellet and be just fine.
Mazuri should not be fed exclusively. For that matter, no one food item should be the only food. And I understand the concern about some of the Mazuri contents. But realize that it's been used in zoos and in the hobby for decades.
It's not harmful as part of a tortoise diet. And it's extremely handy as a semi-staple food because it can be added to many other things. (Including many types of medications) And it's excellent if you're in a hurry and need to feed your tortoises. I feed it moistened and also dry. At least once a week.
Its one of those times when the product seems to be greater than the sum of its parts.
You can use it and feel good about it. Have no fear. But you can also not use it and still be just fine.
The choice is yours.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I understand @Maggie3fan position on this but, I do feed Mazuri as a staple food. I do offer other foods but offer Mazuri EVERYDAY. I have not run into the problem of them only eating that and nothing else, I have not had torts as long as she has. Mazuri has been fed to tortoises for over 20 years and if there was a "Red Flag" or bad reaction to being fed this I think we would of heard about it. I am a fan of Mazuri and feed it a lot and will continue to.
I also feed mazuri daily, but nowhere near the recommended amount. I also feed a very varied diet and for example Walker my 28 year sulcata doesn't eat his dry mazuri until he's ready to go into his house for the night. He eats all the grass, weeds and leaves during the day that I put out for him. The other 3 younger sulcatas also get moistined mazuri but eat it during the day along with the other greens. Walker drinks water from a bowl the youngsters don't yet so that's why they get theirs wet. Never had a problem with any tortoise refusing to eat other food items because of the so called mazuri addiction. As a side note before mazuri became available to the public I supplemented with monkey biscuits.

E-kamelife

Japan
Thank you for various information and opinion. I think that most people need processed food like Mazuri so that their tortoses can be healthy and alive long time. I feed various fresh greens and pellet food almost half and half everyday in order to headge invisible risk. I believe Mazuri is the best artificial food so far. It is known that tortose feeded Mazuri mainly can grow bigger rapidly than any other pellet and vesitables in my country. On the other hand, I have understood there are some risk. There can be addiction for tortosies with Mazuri. Tortoise beak become overgrown because it is softy pellets when tortoise eat. Micro nutrition like vitamin detoriorate as time goes by. There is no printing about expiration date with Mazuri. Because it is pet food so that the quality of food is not stable. We think we need to be careful about that. If we can feed freash greens, weeds and grasses which serve richer nutrition and variety rather than Mazuri every day with less effort for human, I have understood it is the best solution for tortosies ideally.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you for various information and opinion. I think that most people need processed food like Mazuri so that their tortoses can be healthy and alive long time. I feed various fresh greens and pellet food almost half and half everyday in order to headge invisible risk. I believe Mazuri is the best artificial food so far. It is known that tortose feeded Mazuri mainly can grow bigger rapidly than any other pellet and vesitables in my country. On the other hand, I have understood there are some risk. There can be addiction for tortosies with Mazuri. Tortoise beak become overgrown because it is softy pellets when tortoise eat. Micro nutrition like vitamin detoriorate as time goes by. There is no printing about expiration date with Mazuri. Because it is pet food so that the quality of food is not stable. We think we need to be careful about that. If we can feed freash greens, weeds and grasses which serve richer nutrition and variety rather than Mazuri every day with less effort for human, I have understood it is the best solution for tortosies ideally.
This is a good conversation, with good information in it. What tortoise do you have?

E-kamelife

Japan
This is a good conversation, with good information in it. What tortoise do you have?
Somalia leopard tortoise. There are three types of leopard tortoise for sale in Japan. He is a regional species from somalia.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I feed mazuri mostly in winter. Along with grocery greens and whatever I have been able to dry from summer.
Most people, if anyone actually, can't only feed a natural diet. There's nothing wrong with grocery greens as long as it's not the only diet. There would be a lot of homeless or euthanized tortoises if it were required to only feed a natural diet to have one.
I agree with the fact that very few people can feed a naturalistic diet year round. When I have to rely on a grocery store diet during spring and autumn, I have to use a prepared diet to get enough fiber and calcium. And the more variety the better in my opnion.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I don't think either that replicating a natural diet should be necessary. There is so much more to their natural diet than just the plant species. With the change of seasons different foods appear and disappear etc. Way too hard to replicate in captivity.