Rescued Sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was told I need some sort of ceramic heater for outside for them.

If its too cold to be outside, I just keep them in their heated indoor enclosures.

When they get big enough to live outside full time, I make them insulated night boxes that are heated and thermostatically controlled.

TexasHuntress

Santa Fe, TX
Because the needs of a sulcata differ so much depending on their age, that would be a great starting point for us to help. While age cannot be confirmed concisely based on size, posting a pic will give us a better idea of where to get you started.

Attachments

• 1453304308502.jpg
    1453304308502.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 13

TexasHuntress

Santa Fe, TX
If its too cold to be outside, I just keep them in their heated indoor enclosures.

When they get big enough to live outside full time, I make them insulated night boxes that are heated and thermostatically controlled.

Attachments

• 20160120_174745.jpg
    20160120_174745.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is her or his indoor home right now

Looks like you need to contain it a bit more, put down some damp substrate and really check the temps all over.

One issue with being on the floor is that its too cold down there. If the room is sufficiently warm, then you should be okay. Look for a floor temp of no lower than about 78. If you floor is colder than that (it probably is…) consider building a raised large table. Basically a 4x8 sheet of plywood with walls on legs. Make sure the temp under that basking lamp is around 95-100 at tortoise shell height.

I would also soak daily or every other in your situation. You can pick up a gray 18 gallon tote for about $5 at Walmart or Home Depot for soaking.

TexasHuntress

Santa Fe, TX
I soak her in the kitchen sink and just bleach it out after doing that.if she needs to be soaked daily I can do that no problem. I figured it needed far more I just couldn't find any examples or anything on the net of how it should be. Thank you again Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak her in the kitchen sink and just bleach it out after doing that.if she needs to be soaked daily I can do that no problem. I figured it needed far more I just couldn't find any examples or anything on the net of how it should be. Thank you again Tom.

My pleasure. Glad to help.

Kitchen sinks work great. So do bathtubs. :)