Rescued a sulcata...

BEmom

Hi, I rescued a sulcata that I found on Craigslist. I say rescued because people bought her and had no idea what they were getting into. When we got her last night there was no moisture in her enclosure at all and you could clearly see that it had been constantly kept that way. Also, I believe that it was spinach that I removed from her food dish last night.
Anyway, I live in upstate NY.(Actually in the northern part of the state.) I am fully aware of how large they get and what I am getting into but I felt that I could and should help so here I am asking for some help.
So, the two lights she came with are have no special markings on them so I'm not sure exactly what they are. One is a curly bulb which I assume Is the UVB, and I have read that they can cause blindness so I will be changing that. The other bulb must be for heat and it is 100w. My question is if I get a MVB do I still need a CHE? Also, somewhere I read that both UVB and CHE should be pointed in the same place over the basking area...is this correct?
Thanks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If you get an MVB that will provide UVB, basking heat and light requirements for day time.

It is likely that you will also need supplementary heat for night time and a CHE is best for that regardless of your daytime heat/light sources. It is just providing general warmth at night so can go anywhere

BEmom

Great! Thank you. I'm getting ready to head to the pet store to see what I can find...thank you!!

BEmom

Yes, I have. They have been very helpful. I actually was researching sulcatas and leopards for 2 weeks until I came on here looking for suggestions as to what species would be best for where I live and I was considering a Hermann's tort. But this sulcata needed help and my family and I had fallen in love while researching them so we decided to take on the very big task.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good luck! They can be a bit of a handful! (You'll find plenty if threads about Bob on here so you know what to expect!) :)

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Hi, I've seen your other thread on debating on a sulcata or leopard and because you live in a cold weather climate you were advised for a smaller species. I am glad to see you the sulcata. It will be a lot more work when it's older and cost a lot more versus a Russian or hermanns(big enclosure, heated shed for winter, etc). If your truly up for all that than there is nothing wrong with owning a sulcata. I myself have debated back forth about getting one as I live in PA and the winters are hard here too. I got my little one about a month ago and couldn't be happier as I have wanted one for years. Nice to see you recused one that was need of a better home and care. Read all of Tom's threads on them and you'll do fine. Please post pictures of your new sulcata. Here's my little one
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435330563.430004.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435330588.171069.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I rescued a sulcata that I found on Craigslist. I say rescued because people bought her and had no idea what they were getting into. When we got her last night there was no moisture in her enclosure at all and you could clearly see that it had been constantly kept that way. Also, I believe that it was spinach that I removed from her food dish last night.
Anyway, I live in upstate NY.(Actually in the northern part of the state.) I am fully aware of how large they get and what I am getting into but I felt that I could and should help so here I am asking for some help.
So, the two lights she came with are have no special markings on them so I'm not sure exactly what they are. One is a curly bulb which I assume Is the UVB, and I have read that they can cause blindness so I will be changing that. The other bulb must be for heat and it is 100w. My question is if I get a MVB do I still need a CHE? Also, somewhere I read that both UVB and CHE should be pointed in the same place over the basking area...is this correct?
Thanks.

All of these questions are answered right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

These might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

BEmom

Hi, I've seen your other thread on debating on a sulcata or leopard and because you live in a cold weather climate you were advised for a smaller species. I am glad to see you the sulcata. It will be a lot more work when it's older and cost a lot more versus a Russian or hermanns(big enclosure, heated shed for winter, etc). If your truly up for all that than there is nothing wrong with owning a sulcata. I myself have debated back forth about getting one as I live in PA and the winters are hard here too. I got my little one about a month ago and couldn't be happier as I have wanted one for years. Nice to see you recused one that was need of a better home and care. Read all of Tom's threads on them and you'll do fine. Please post pictures of your new sulcata. Here's my little one
View attachment 136208View attachment 136209
Very cute little one you have there! I went to the pet store in search of the right bulbs but they didn't have them so I am going to order some online. Her enclosure will be getting improved this weekend as well. I'll post pics soon!

BEmom

Thanks Tom. I was trying to retread everything this morning before I headed to the store. Thank you for the links. I always have a hard time remembering where I read stuff the first time.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Congrats and glad you're here. I keep Leopards in Spokane WA. It is a challenge, but worth it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
View attachment 136208View attachment 136209

What cute pictures! :)

BEmom

Congrats and glad you're here. I keep Leopards in Spokane WA. It is a challenge, but worth it.
My family and I are really happy. We have big plans for her enclosure already!! I was hesitant wondering if I would be able to do it because I was really nervous but I think it will be great! They are a lifetime commitment so I figured I might as well dive into the species I had my heart set on.

BEmom

image.jpg image.jpg Well, here is the little one I rescued! She is a year old. I think she is pyramiding a little but with the right changes she should grow smoothly moving forward. She does love grass which is great!!!
(She is still in the enclosure she came with we are making changes over the weekend, but we have added water for moisture.)

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
He/she is not in horrible shape(I've seen worse). Provide the right conditions for growth from Tom's threads. By the time it is an adult you will hardly see the pyramiding if not any.

BEmom

Yeah. I think she is pretty beautiful. Working on getting the right setup for her now. Tom's threads are super helpful!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you get an MVB that will provide UVB, basking heat and light requirements for day time.

It is likely that you will also need supplementary heat for night time and a CHE is best for that regardless of your daytime heat/light sources. It is just providing general warmth at night so can go anywhere
....and if you use the che with a thermostat it will switch on and off as necessary and keep temps even at night.

BEmom

....and if you use the che with a thermostat it will switch on and off as necessary and keep temps even at night.
Thank you so much for the info! I will add that to my list of supplies I need to buy.