Radiated Pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin Tx
Anyone with experience know what 12inch-14inch radiated tortoises go for? I came across a breeding pair for 10k and wasn't sure if that's a fair price. Let me know what u think! Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are 9 inch ones on fauna classified for 3400. Not sure what breeding size is, but your price doesn't seem too far off. They go up in price with size. That's all I can tell you. Good luck if you are thinking on getting them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen babies as low as $1000. I have seen adults as high as $6500.

Don't forget that you must possess a CBW permit if they are to cross state lines.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Breeding pairs dont usually hit the market. If they are proven breeders then thats a fair price to pay.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
If I were to buy one of these beauties, I would go with Bill Zovickian. From his ad I would think that he has other Radiated tortoises for sale. ~C

EricIvins

5 Year Member
A proven pair at 10K is decent.......Just understand it will take a while to recoup that investment depending on where you are at.......Location is everything when it comes to ESA animals.......Here in Florida, Radiateds are common and $1000 is on the high side of things for a hatchling......

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Austin Tx
Blake_Matthew

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Austin Tx
The link above is the pair I'm looking to get. Any opinion on how they look compared to most radiated?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
If I were you, I would reach out to Bill Zovickian and ask him if he had a breeding pair that he is willing to sell. Bill has been breeding for a long time, and has the most beautiful Radiated that I have ever seen. You will know that you are buying the best of the best when it comes to a radiated tortoise. Just email him. ~C

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
For that pair it's a good price. You won't see breeding egg producing animals for sale particularly females. Other factors do play a role in price with adults in terms of number of eggs a year and fertility!!! Females are not cheap, males on the other hand are unless they're yellow.

Has this pair produced babies yet?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I agree, that is a good price for that pair. Find out as much information as you possibly can. Photos, videos or stats that can be given to you as proof of their breeding history is a plus.

The cheapest I have seen a full blown average colored large adult male sell for is 3K.
The cheapest I've seen a full blown average colored proven female sell for is 8K.

This was for nicely grown animals.

I was recently offered 15K for an adult pair I have. They are also average color. I turned the offer down for no other reason than the fact that I do not want to sell them.

Bill Zovickian is definitely an excellent choice for obtaining these. He is honest, reputable and safe. He asks a pretty penny, but he has some real stunners. I bought a male from him that was 10.5" for 5K and it is an absolutely gorgeous animal. Pricey for a male, but you get what you pay for.

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Austin Tx
Thanks all for the great advice. I pulled the trigger and now have these great guys :) I look forward to chatting more with you all and sharing tips on these wonderful animals! I have found many different "care sheets" while doing research the last year. Can anyone PM me the ones you use? Or post it here? Found some that tend to contradict each other on diet specifically and wanted a quality sheet. Thanks again!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Bill Z is again another great source to ask any questions of. As well as peter mimikos in El Paso, he has quite a few adults and breeds them very successfully.

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
I wish i had 10k to throw at some torts. Make sure you take great care of them and enjoy them, and let me know if you ever want to send a hatchling my way

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I'd like to make a comment about getting started with adult breeding Radiateds unless you really know their backgrounds. There have been reported cases of intranuclear coccidiosis in radiated tortoises that are almost impossible to diagnose until there are almost dead. The point is when you start with hatchlings and young adults, you know their history and environment, etc. When you purchase from someone else with not a whole lot of information, buyer beware! Bill Zovickian,Pete Kopolos, and Jon Heidecker are probably the most knowledgeable and trustworthy people with Radiateds. When you start branching further out with other people and much older animals you never know. 10K is a lot of money and no guarantees. Personally, put the effort in and start young and know what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.