Raccoons

raymond

5 Year Member
Today when I left for work I did a putt around yard and noticed the foot prints of a raccoon trying to get into my tort den setting traps today hope for the best will relocate afterwards

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You will likely want to bring your tort indoors at night and relocation is a futile attempt...these critters will find their way back...unless of course you are maybe relocating to another state.....you may need to find an alternative to relocation as well as set up some type of critter proof enclosure....

Raccoons are no joke man when it comes to tortoise as food...

raymond

5 Year Member
Taking then 40 miles away up in the mountains other wise dispatch

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have a friend who's 12 year old Leo was killed by a raccoon last week. Relocation does not work unless of course you do what a lot of people do and relocate them into a trash can after locating a heavy or fast moving object in the direction of their head.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
me and a couple buddies were just talking about how smart these animals really are. dont underestimate them.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man eat them things ! They are yummy make a stew .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Silvestre Almanza

5 Year Member
Raymond,

I use rat bait it works well. You have to stay on top of it, I have been rodent free for 4 years.

nancykj

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
I have a friend who's 12 year old Leo was killed by a raccoon last week. Relocation does not work unless of course you do what a lot of people do and relocate them into a trash can after locating a heavy or fast moving object in the direction of their head.

a real stupid thing to say. i am suprised that this forum allows post advocating hurting animals, yet will threaten to boot posts that might suggest something against the law, like picking up a hurt wild tort . if you set up a predator proof enclosure, as you should, this is moot. really pisses me off. as an all around animal lover.

why is moderator allowing these posts? rat bait? "eat them things"? wtf?

raymond

5 Year Member
I said trap and have been traping also said if there foaming at the mouth and not normaly aggressive then dispatching may have to happen remember the raccoon is not a endangered protected animal like the CDT but I can't speak for other post

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
nancykj said:
Saleama said:

a real stupid thing to say. i am suprised that this forum allows post advocating hurting animals, yet will threaten to boot posts that might suggest something against the law, like picking up a hurt wild tort . if you set up a predator proof enclosure, as you should, this is moot. really pisses me off. as an all around animal lover.

Everyone has their own opinion on what to do about racoons, no need to get to upset. I am perfectly ok with getting rid of them in any way necessary like I did in the past when they bit my box turtles tail off. Everyone thinks different and everyone has their own version of right and wrong

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Raccoons

nancykj said:
Saleama said:

Sorry did not mean no harm . Where I'm from they are food just like pigs ,cows,fish,deer,and you get it . We are country folk and we eat all kinds of animals. But one point needs to be said you don't kill what you can't eat or use to get you something you can eat . Unless the thing you are killing means you or your loved ones harm . In this case it is trying to eat your pets or as I see them my loved ones . All my animals are taken care of to my best ability . As for saying eat them things they are yummy I am not sorry for that because they are yummy . I'm am sorry for you getting upset . I understand that not everyone goes hunting for there food . But in my house we eat what we kill . I think it teaches kids to have respect for wild life and it keeps the old ways of life going . What would happen if the stores everybody shops at where to close how would people eat you got it them raccoons are starting to look tasty .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Wow, a raccoon really is yummy huh? (genuine, not sarcastic) I'd be very curious to hear more but my questions would take this too off topic lol.

nancykj

5 Year Member
raymond said:
I said trap and have been traping also said if there foaming at the mouth and not normaly aggressive then dispatching may have to happen remember the raccoon is not a endangered protected animal like the CDT but I can't speak for other post

ah, so it is ok to kill an animal because it is not an "endangered protected animal"
even tho that animal is exactly where he should be. raccoons are indigenous to pretty much all of north america.
foaming at the mouth! please!! educate yourself. and again, i do not fault you coz i think you mean well but need some more info. i am blaming the moderators for allowing these posts
moderators, are you going to weigh in? or what??

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
nancykj said:
raymond said:

ah, so it is ok to kill an animal because it is not an "endangered protected animal"
even tho that animal is exactly where he should be. raccoons are indigenous to pretty much all of north america.
foaming at the mouth! please!! educate yourself. and again, i do not fault you coz i think you mean well but need some more info. i am blaming the moderators for allowing these posts

Why would we(moderators) not allow a public display of opinion. Nothing I have read inferences as a violation of this forum, nor illicit activity. The OP seems to be taking a threat to his animals in a very humane way. trapping the threat and relocating it. The methodology could be exacerbated to death about morals, and again opposing or concurring opinions on whether or not it is "humane" or not. It may seem wrong or against your beliefs how some may present their opinion on the matter. However I have not seen any comments in violation of this forum.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
I've had to dispatch a few raccoons over the years. I treat my pets like my children, you mess with my babies there will be consequences...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dispatch, seriously? Lets call it what it is, kill.

What type of enclosure do you have ? Don't get me wrong, these guys are crafty critters...since you know you have these animals in your immediate area, what precautions do you have in place to not allow injury to your tort by a raccoon?

I mean, if you trap and relocate or kill the three you are aware of, what then? You are apparently in an area that this is a common critter, you see what I mean?

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Haven't had issues with torts as I keep them indoors at night, I had a group break into my chicken coop which I thought was raccoon proof and slaughter 5 of my hens. One night I woke up to a group of 3 trying to get in my house through the doggy door (which was locked but they busted the cover). My dog instantly went over and got in a fight with them. I tried to back them off with a shovel but it didn't work... So I killed the ones that wouldn't back off.

I haven't had any issues with them in 4 years...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortadise said:
nancykj said:
raymond said:

Why would we(moderators) not allow a public display of opinion. Nothing I have read inferences as a violation of this forum, nor illicit activity. The OP seems to be taking a threat to his animals in a very humane way. trapping the threat and relocating it. The methodology could be exacerbated to death about morals, and again opposing or concurring opinions on whether or not it is "humane" or not. It may seem wrong or against your beliefs how some may present their opinion on the matter. However I have not seen any comments in violation of this forum.

Very well said Kelly. I second this. Although I am not for killing any animal just for the killing of it, I am all about protecting my family, pets. I personally would do what ever I could to not kill an animal. However, if that's what had to be done, I would. Well, I would have someone do it.

nancykj

5 Year Member
i am sorry if i offended anyone by my tone! the subject is just a sore point for me, but i certainly could have been more respectful. i know everyone loves and wants to protect their pets. actually, several years ago a raccoon, or 2 or 3, got into my koi pond and killed one of my 20 year old koi. just drug her out of the pond somehow (she was a good 15 lbs in weight) and ate her belly only, and just left her there for me to find in the am. i was devastated. so, i certainly understand the havoc these little monsters can wreak. again, i truly appreciate the opportunity to participate in this form, and will not be so confrontational in the future. special apology to kelly. thanks!